Founded initially after September 11th, 2001 as a worker relief center for affected restaurant workers and their families, the Restaurant Opportunities Centers United (ROC United) has grown into a national organization with restaurant worker members in New York, California, Boston, Chicago, Michigan, New Orleans, Pennsylvania, Seattle, and Washington, DC. In each region, we are organizing restaurant workers, employers, and consumers to improve wages and working conditions in the restaurant industry. Our national One Fair Wage campaign aims to raise the exploitative subminimum tipped wage to the full minimum wage while addressing gender and racial justice issue, lifting up especially women and people of color who represent the vast majority of the restaurant industry workforce.
Since its founding, ROC United has won more than a dozen workplace justice campaigns, winning more than $10 million in misappropriated tips and wages and discrimination payments for low-wage workers, and significant policy changes in high-profile restaurant companies covering thousands of workers. We have played an instrumental role in winning statewide minimum wage increases for tipped workers, and other policy campaigns at the local, state, and federal levels. ROC also partners with responsible restaurant owners to promote the ‘high road’ to profitability, has trained more than 5,000 restaurant workers to advance to livable-wage jobs within the industry, and has published over 30 ground-breaking reports and a nationally bestselling book on the restaurant industry.
We currently have affiliates operating in Michigan, Chicago, New York, Washington D.C., Bay Area, Boston, New Orleans (Gulf Coast), Pennsylvania, Los Angeles, and Seattle.
If you are excited about dedicating your professional career to the advancement of social, economic, racial, and gender justice; meet our qualification requirements; and thrive in an intense, fast-paced environment, we want to hear from you.
ROC United is hiring a Communications Coordinator who will work under the direction of and report to the Director of Communications.
As our Communications Coordinator, you will work collaboratively across the organization with a high level of initiative and independence but also accountability to advance organization’s internal and external communications needs in an omni-channel environment. In this role, under general supervision, you will:
- Project-manage and track all communications service requests from internal clients. Set up projects and tasks and monitor their due dates and deliverables in Basecamp, our Project Management System.
- Draft press releases and press advisories pertaining to ROC United’s initiatives and actions and coordinate logistics for press calls and press conferences.
- Work with the development team in aligning public relations and donor relations strategies and communications.
- Coordinate media requests and follow up with appropriate members of the ROC United team.
- Research and develop content for websites, social media channels, email distribution, and print media. Publish content throughout social media, in WordPress CMS, and using the NGP’s EveryAction email tool.
- Operate a two-way SMS tool, including drafting the mobile flows, managing the database, and providing support to internal clients.
- Copyedit and proofread documents to maintain high editorial standards, with an attention to grammatical detail and adherence to ROC United’s style guide and approved messaging.
- Perform basic image editing tasks (cropping, resizing, adding text).
- Maintain a database of contacts (vendors, partners, media etc).
- Cultivate partnerships with vendors, external organizational partners, internal clients, and others through respect, pro-active communication, and professional conduct.
- Organize and maintain digital assets (images, videos, graphics).
- Measure and report on the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Assist with other external and internal communications duties as needed.
Mission fit: Personal and professional alignment with ROC United’s mission and vision, with a strong analysis of and commitment to racial, social, and economic justice and familiarity with the progressive field. Knowledge of low-wage worker issues is a plus.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in marketing, communications, journalism, PR, or a related field.
• Exceptional attention to detail as well as strong relationship-building skills.
• Functional knowledge of WordPress.
• Strong knowledge of social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snap) and track record publishing ads, including political ads, on social media (Facebook and Twitter).
• Experience developing digital content with SEO in mind.
• Experience with Google Ads.
• Experience developing creative content, including collaboration with graphic designers, photographers, printers, writers, and editors. Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop tools. Graphic design skills a plus.
• Willingness to learn and grow within a fast-paced, diverse organization. A positive spirit, maturity, professionalism, and a sense of humor is a must.
• Track record of working with NGPVan products, including EveryAction.
• Restaurant work experience a plus.
• Campaign experience a plus.
• Ability to travel as needed.
ROC United’s benefits package includes medical and dental insurance; flexible spending account; and paid-time-off package. Note that the duties of this position can be conducted remotely; thus, geographical location is not a barrier to a successful application.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish fluency is a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Immigrants, women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ people are encouraged to apply. Send your cover letter highlighting how your professional experiences align with the qualification profile of the position and your resume by August 21, 2018 as one PDF document to email@example.com.