415 Madison Avenue
The Edna McConnell Clark Foundation champions economically disadvantaged youth. We partner with other investors to expand programs with compelling evidence in order to help more vulnerable young people become successful adults.
EMCF pursues three principal strategies to strengthen nonprofits and lift the life prospects of the youth they serve:
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT FUND. EMCF’s core program, established in 2000, helps high-performing organizations build the infrastructure and evidence they need to expand and help economically disadvantaged youth, ages 9–24, get an education, find a good job, and stay out of trouble such as teen parenthood or crime.
BLUE MERIDIAN PARTNERS. Incubated at EMCF and launched in 2016, Blue Meridian Partners is an independent collaboration of 12 philanthropic institutions and individuals who share decision-making authority. It plans to invest at least $1 billion in propelling evidence-based programs to a scale that maximizes their impact directly, serving greater numbers of youth from birth to age 30, and indirectly, increasing their influence on the child welfare, educational, judicial, and other systems that affect young people’s lives.
PROPELNEXT. EMCF founded this initiative in 2012 to help promising nonprofits transform their passion for serving disadvantaged youth into data-driven insights and practices that strengthen their programs and foster a culture of continuous learning and improvement. Currently EMCF and four California-based foundations are piloting the PropelNext California Partnership to boost the impact of youth-serving organizations in that state.
For more than four decades, the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation has sought to uphold the values that inspired the Clark family to create it. In our work with grantees and with each other, EMCF and its staff strive to live up to and put into action five core values: humility, belief in people, pragmatism, trust and high standards.
Position Type: Exempt
Reporting to the Associate Director of Communications (EMCF), while also taking direction from and working closely with the Chief Corporate Communications Officer and Chief Brand Officer, the Digital Communications Associate will support the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation and Blue Meridian Partners’ respective digital communications strategies. He/she/they are responsible for implementing EMCF and Blue Meridian’s social media accounts and email marketing functions, maintaining and updating their websites, executing digital communications campaigns, and overseeing analytical tools and digital media (photo and video) assets. He/she/they are also responsible for communications projects that support EMCF and Blue Meridian’s strategic communications and brand building plans (i.e., engaging and directing work with web developers, graphic design and print vendors), as well as leading core operational communications work (i.e., managing EMCF’s board book production process).
This role will support work that falls under the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation (55%) and Blue Meridian Partners (45%). The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
Email Marketing and Social Media
- Manage and direct the day-to-day activities and lead strategy planning for social media accounts, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube, in accordance with the Foundation’s and Blue Meridian’s respective social media strategies. (The social media channels can and will change as the landscape evolves.)
- Oversee the Foundation’s and Blue Meridian’s respective email marketing functions, including developing and designing effective email communications, and executing marketing campaigns.
- Devise and carry out “social listening strategies” to monitor online conversation in areas related to the Foundation’s and Blue Meridian’s work, and identify key influencers in this space.
- Review daily media clippings featuring EMCF (YDF) and Blue Meridian grantees. If appropriate, distribute relevant articles to staff and post on their respective websites and/or share through social media channels.
- Manage the Foundation’s and Blue Meridian’s contacts databases, and be accountable for ensuring they are up-to-date.
Content Management & Development
· Work closely with and support the Associate Director of Communications (EMCF) and Senior Communications Associate (Blue Meridian), to develop and implement respective monthly and quarterly content calendars.
· As needed, work with internal respective teams as well as external consultants to create original content or repurpose content to support day-to-day social media campaigns.
- Support the Associate Director of Communications (EMCF) and Senior Communications Associate (Blue Meridian) to update web content and design through content management systems on a regular basis so that the EMCF and Blue Meridian websites are accurate and timely.
- Manage work with vendors to implement design improvements and back-end updates to ensure the Foundation’s and Blue Meridian’s websites are relevant, user-friendly and utilize digital best practices.
- Manage and update photo and video assets used on the EMCF and Blue Meridian websites.
- Oversee analytic tools, including Google Analytics and Hootsuite.
- Produce and disseminate regular reports on usage, open/click-through-rate, and list growth.
- Make recommendations, based on analyzing the data collected, for improving the digital content and communications strategies.
· Identify key performance indicators, and monitor progress against quarterly and annual goals.
Digital Media Assets
- Working with the Associate Director of Communications (EMCF) and Senior Communications Associate (Blue Meridian), help manage efforts to develop compelling video content, by working with outside vendors and producers to shoot, produce and edit segments.
- Maintain the Foundation’s and Blue Meridian’s video and photo libraries, including supporting projects to expand the Foundation’s photo library, such as managing the work of vendors, working with grantees on scheduling, and handing other project management-related details.
- Coordinate sharing of multimedia resources with grantees.
- Manage the Foundation’s board book production process, including setting workplans and deadline calendars, tracking documents as they are developed and reviewed, and ensuring print and digital versions of the books are assembled and disseminated.
- Oversee communications-related projects and deliverables, as identified and assigned by the Chief Corporate Communications Officer, EMCF and Chief Brand Officer, Blue Meridian Partners.
- As needed, develop contracts for outside vendors and manage their work.
Ideal candidates will have 3 – 5 years of hands-on professional experience in digital communications, including managing social media business accounts and implementing communications plans. He/she/they must have experience working with and overseeing the work of professional consultants and holding them accountable for delivering high-quality products in a timely manner, as well as experience overseeing the work of colleagues or peers who are not subordinates and holding higher-ups accountable for deliverables. This position requires strong project management skills, with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of a fast-paced organization, while remaining focused on a project’s goals and deadlines and proactively solving problems as they arise.
The Digital Communications Associate must have excellent organizational skills, including very strong attention to detail, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks in a fluid, dynamic environment while continuing to meet deadlines. Strong oral and written communication skills, the ability to draft copy for external digital communications, including the Foundation’s social media accounts, email marketing, and website, and excellent proofreading skills are necessary. He/she/they must also have strong design sensibilities with an eye for developing compelling visual presentations. Experience with digital analytic tools, a passion for using data, and strong analytical skills to assess digital communications campaign performance, and synthesize that data into actionable reports and recommendations is a must. Experience working with Drupal and WordPress is desired, Microsoft Dynamics CRM and digital marketing tools (i.e., Google Analytics and Hootsuite) are a plus. He/she/they must also be able to learn new software and applications quickly.
The Digital Communications Associate must be a hands-on performer with high energy levels, collaborative leadership ability, and the aptitude for self-motivated team and independent work. Independent thinking skills with the capacity to carefully consider and engage colleagues’ points of view is important. He/she/they will use sound judgment, including the ability to make decisions in a collaborative manner with other colleagues, to listen well and to seek and find creative, alternative solutions to challenges and disagreements that arise. This position requires outstanding interpersonal skills with a professional and genial demeanor, and the ability to work with a diverse group of peers, trustees, consultants, advisors and grantees with different backgrounds and experiences.
Note: This description is a guide to the primary duties and functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands and working conditions. Position descriptions are reviewed and may be revised to meet the changing needs of the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation and Blue Meridian Partners at the sole discretion of management.
Total compensation includes an annual base salary that falls in the $70,000 to $80,000 range, the potential for an annual incentive award based on performance, and an exceptional benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 403b retirement plan with employer contributions and generous time off. Base salary will be set commensurate with chosen candidate’s knowledge, skill and experience.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For consideration, please include the following in your application:
· cover letter
· writing sample (may include social media posts)
Please send your application to EMCFcareers@emcf.org. Be sure to include “Digital Communications Associate” in the subject line and let us know where you found our job post.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.
The Edna McConnell Clark Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, elderly and disabled candidates to apply. We appreciate all applicants, but due to the anticipated volume of submissions, we will only be able to respond to those who are best qualified for the position.