Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is a national not-for-profit organization committed to transforming how individuals in need access essential benefits and services. BDT envisions an efficient, cost-effective health and human services system that proactively connects individuals and families to the supports they need so that people are healthier and more economically secure, and communities are stronger. Through direct service delivery and systems change efforts, BDT works to improve health, social, and economic outcomes, streamline the benefits enrollment process, and reduce administrative costs for government and nonprofit agencies. BDT employs 160 employees in Philadelphia, and operates programs in Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina.
Since its inception in 2005, BDT has successfully submitted over 700,000 benefits applications for low-income households across the country, securing over $7 billion in benefits for food, healthcare, heating and other services that help move individuals and families toward financial stability. BDT now submits more benefit applications each year than any other single entity in the nation.
Research and evaluations have found BDT’s direct service delivery, comprised of targeted outreach and enrollment assistance, to be highly cost-effective. BDT also works with government agencies to assist them in adopting policies and practices proven to streamline benefits enrollment, and BDT partners with leading researchers to document the impact of benefits access and cost-effective outreach and enrollment strategies.
BDT is looking for a Policy Manager to help lead its system change efforts and build BDT’s reputation as a thought leader in the benefits access space. The Policy Manager is responsible for policy research and internal policy review to advance BDT’s policy agenda. The Policy Manager will work with the Director of Policy to develop innovative strategies to help streamline access to benefits in multiple states. As part of the Office of Strategy, s/he will support program design, process improvement, and evaluation efforts to ensure consistent application of policy rules in all benefit programs. S/he will supervise and coach one or more Policy Coordinators to ensure the Policy Department is responsive to the needs of all internal and external stakeholders. The Policy Manager will also serve as BDT’s Privacy Officer.
The Policy Manager reports to the Director of Policy
As a key member of BDT’s Policy Team, the policy manager will help manage both internal and external policy needs for BDT.
External Policy Responsibilities
· Build and maintain a strong knowledge of laws and regulations related to public benefits
· Perform various aspects of BDT’s policy technical assistance, including but not limited to assisting the Director of Policy to:
o Draft policy manual sections
o Create relevant trainings and training materials
o Draft business re-engineering plans and proposals
- Serve as a technical expert at meetings and conferences and help propel BDT as a thought leader in the benefits access space
· Participate on key national and state coalitions to keep abreast of and help shape policy developments
- Support development of new BDT publications highlighting research findings, lessons learned, and policy recommendations
- Build and maintain expertise in federal and state data-sharing permissions and support data sharing negotiations with government and private-sector partners
- Manage the submission of formal comments on proposed federal and state regulations related to public benefits, horizontal integration, cross-agency data sharing, and healthcare payment and delivery system reform
Internal Policy Responsibilities
- Manage goals and deliverables for BDT’s policy and systems change agenda
- Oversee policy and regulatory compliance of all internal programs
- Support program design, process improvement, and evaluation efforts
- Supervise and support the professional development of Policy Coordinator(s)
- Serve as BDT’s Privacy Officer, ensuring compliance with federal and state data privacy reporting requirements
· Think strategically about the opportunities for data use and data sharing by and between health and human services agencies
· Assist with policy-related funding opportunities, including research and proposal writing as necessary
· JD strongly preferred or Master’s degree in public administration, public policy, or public health with a minimum of three years of related, full time work experience .
· Creative problem solver that will find innovative methods for assisting in creating and implementing BDT’s policy agenda
· Knowledge and familiarity of the public benefits landscape
· If candidate possesses a JD, must have the ability to conduct legal research and prepare legal memos
· Demonstrated ability to read and understand statutes, regulations and policy manuals
· Working knowledge of data-sharing agreements, preferred
· Experience in data privacy and security, preferred
· Experience managing and coaching people
· Ability to change courses quickly and adapt to tight deadlines Superior verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments, and work independently
· High level of proficiency in MS Office (including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
· Commitment to improving the lives of vulnerable populations
· Comfortable with limited travel
Comprehensive benefits package!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume via our website. We look forward to reviewing your materials!