WHO WE ARE
Our mission is to transform the lives of students - especially those who will be the first in their family to attend college - by preparing them for success in college, career, and life.
At Envision Education, we believe the current achievement gap reflects a systemic failure to understand how kids learn, what motivates them to learn, and what they need in order to learn well. We know that vibrant learning communities apply compassion and high expectations to inspire and empower students. With a population that is 75% first generation college bound, our approach is specifically designed to increase student engagement, deepen integration and understanding, promote active learning, and ensure college success.
Envision Education is a national model for using Performance Assessment to prepare students for success in college and in life. Envision Education operates three small high schools and two middle schools. Graduates go on to succeed in college at significantly higher rates than their peers: 99% attend college and 85% persist once they get there.
We believe that deeper learning experiences challenge students to think critically, solve problems resourcefully, and collaborate productively. Students have an opportunity to use these skills and show what they know through portfolio defenses. In 8th, 10th and 12th grade, Envision students present a defense of learning, demonstrating their growth and learning. Similar to a master’s thesis defense, these presentations are required to graduate in 12th grade and are invaluable in preparing for life after high school. They practice for these defenses through regular exhibitions and in-class presentations. Our students say portfolio defense is the hardest thing they have ever done, and nothing has prepared them more for college. Read about our approach here.
Envision Education seeks an experienced, strategic, people-focused leader to serve as our next Senior Director of Talent and Human Resources. The Senior Director of Talent and Human Resources will build on previous work to ensure the development of an anti-racist and pro-Black Human Resources function at Envision Education. They will continue to build systems and structures that support strong recruitment practices. They will oversee the implementation of systems and structures related to employee onboarding and professional development. They will also oversee the maintenance of key HR functions at Envision (benefits, compliance, employee relations).
The ideal candidate for this role will be deeply committed to educational equity, and will bring a mix of experience with developing strong talent recruitment systems and knowledge of federal and state employment law and employee relations. The successful candidate will be comfortable discussing identity, power, privilege, equity and race in the workplace. The successful candidate will be self-reflective about how their own identity impacts their work. This position reports to the Chief of Staff and works closely with individuals at all levels of the organization, as well as with outside consultants and vendors. The Senior Director of Talent and Human Resources will supervise two HR team members.
Key Responsibilities: Talent Acquisition
- Work with Envision leaders to define annual hiring and recruiting plans aligned with organizational goals and objectives for attraction and retention of high quality, diverse staff.
- Continue our work to codify exemplary practices for recruitment and selection of teachers and leaders, and provide training and development to hiring managers on these practices.
- Oversee all hiring-related processes and relationships, including direct responsibility for hiring key school and Support Office senior staff.
- Develop and implement tools to streamline processes and track data to make continuous improvements to talent and hiring processes.
- Oversee onboarding programs and work with the HR team and other hiring managers to implement appropriate and thorough onboarding programs for all new employees.
Key Responsibilities: Talent Strategy Development
- Develop a comprehensive talent development strategy for the entire organization, including certificated and classified employees
- Monitor effectiveness of performance management, talent development, and talent retention through the use of key metrics and data systems
- Lead improvements in evaluation processes for all staff members across the organization
- Observe the facilitation of employee development structures and provide feedback to facilitators to improve their effectiveness
- Develop and oversee the structures for professional development and growth for members of the Support Office
- Develop a long-term partnership plan to source, cultivate, and manage potential pipelines with external organizations that meet Envision's future staffing needs; assess the effectiveness of these ongoing pipelines.
Key Responsibilities: Employment Law and HR Compliance
- Serve as the network expert and provide advice and counsel to managers regarding employee practices, policies, and employment law
- Ensure managerial compliance and understanding of all applicable regional labor laws and internal policies, procedures, and practices
- Ensure the HR team maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and updates and communicates HR policies accordingly
- Work closely with the Talent Operations team to ensure the organization complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to employees
- Ensure Envision’s compliance with federal, state, charter and local workplace regulations including mandatory trainings.
- Ensure that policies and the handbook reflect Envision’s adherence to statutory and mandatory requirements, as well as reflect Envision’s culture and values.
- Train school-site operations staff on compliance issues and processes. Act as consultant resource to Supervisors with compliance/legal issues.
- Oversee employee files/record keeping and data tracking, including background checking related to new hires, employee reviews, promotions, complaints
separations, benefits, workers compensation claims, and exit interviews.
- Prepare and submit annual compliance reports including EEO and Charter authorizer required reports.
Key Responsibilities: Compensation and Benefits
- Collaborate with the senior leadership team to set salaries and total rewards programs for the organization.
- Ensure that all new positions/hires have gone through budgetary approval.
- Ensure that all employees are classified appropriately and that wage and hour laws are adhered to.
- Maintain a salary database and update employees’ salaries annually.
- Manage employee benefits programs and external relationships for all benefits plans.
- Work with the senior leadership team to perform annual benefits evaluation; restructure or revise plans to meet budget requirements and better meet staff needs.
- Supervise benefits administration and handle non-routine problem escalation.
- Manage open enrollment process and conduct on-site meetings. Ensure administration of changes are rolled out effectively.
Key Responsibilities: Supervision
- Supervise HR team (currently Talent Acquisition Manager and HR Generalist) and actively support their growth, professional development aligned to their goals, and efficacy aligned to organizational goals.
- Work closely with finance, operations, accounting, communications, and school administrators as needed for project development or implementation.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Envision Education.
- Deep commitment to anti-racist and pro-Black idealogies in the workplace
- Deep commitment to leading an anti-racist, pro-Black, and community focused HR function.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- PHR/SPHR certificate, graduate degree in business, HR/Organizational Development, or related field preferred.
- 5-7 years related experience, with at least 3 years of recruitment experience and at least 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Track record of building and improving policies and practices to build HR’s capacity to handle increasing scale and complexity
- Presence and self-awareness to serve in a leadership role for a diverse staff, setting the tone for an inclusive, and welcoming workplace culture
- Strong technical understanding of HR functions, including but not limited to employment law (familiarity with California preferred), performance management, and compensation. Experience with labor relations is beneficial.
- Ability to develop others through coaching, feedback, and professional development
- Comfort working with little or no supervision.
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and able to work with a variety of stakeholders
- Creative design thinker experienced in change management