100 Washington Street
China Institute in America is a non-profit organization whose mission is to advance a deeper understanding of China through programs in education, culture, art, and business. Our programs, school, and gallery exhibitions bring to life the depth, complexity and dynamism of China. Founded in 1926 by Chinese reformers Hu Shi and K.P. Wen, and educator John Dewey, China Institute is the leading, non-profit organization in America to focus exclusively on China. It is a time of transformative growth of China Institute at its new Downtown Manhattan location. It is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to collaborate with our teams to grow the brand of China Institute, its reach, and impact.
About the Role:
We are currently seeking a full-time Gallery Coordinator. This position is responsible for providing assistance to the Gallery Director on the needs of Gallery Department operation. The individual should have interest in Chinese arts and culture, be self-driven and detail-oriented with excellent organizational and time management skills.
· Plan and implement exhibition-related public programs, including Guest Curators’ lectures, Symposiums, and other Gallery programs
· Prepare traveling exhibition information packets and promote traveling exhibitions to suitable exhibition venues. Work with Director and Gallery Manager on traveling exhibition legal arrangements, financial terms, schedule and ongoing correspondence
· Assist with Gallery PR and Marketing efforts for exhibitions and programs, particularly through social media and arts-related websites ensuring that the Gallery’s web page is up-to-date and accurate
· Handle and develop exhibition catalogue sales (on/offline), including annual holiday sales, shipping, inventory control, and reporting
· Coordinate details of Friends of the Gallery membership events, ensuring prompt and regular correspondence with members, draft and generate newsletters and organize annual Steering Committee meetings
· Maintain Gallery’s exhibitions and event archives
· Update information on Raiser’s Edge
· Serve as primary liaison with visiting groups of scholars, museum professionals, and other Gallery guests, arranging travel details as-needed and ensuring a smooth and enjoyable visit
· Provide assistance, as needed, to the Gallery Director to ensure the smooth operation of the Gallery
· 1+ year of administrative experience preferably working for an arts organization, museum or gallery, with hands-on exhibition, marketing and/or public programming experience
· Familiarity with membership and donor-relations a plus, including Raiser’s Edge
· Be knowledgeable about Chinese culture, art history and contemporary art
· Be interested in arts administration
· Be detail-oriented and reliable, with excellent written, communication, and time management skills
· Be self-driven and motivated, willing to learn
China Institute offers competitive benefits package, including 403(b) and generous paid time-off.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English required, fluency or proficiency in Chinese is highly desirable
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to email@example.com with “Gallery Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
China Institute in America is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Minority/Female/Veteran/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.