Vital Strategies, based in New York City, is an international public health organization. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities. Our specific programs include road safety, obesity prevention, tobacco control, and activities to strengthen public health data systems and the use of public health data to guide policy and decision-making. Activities are based in low and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Finance and Administrative Assistant – Research Division (RD). This is a full-time position based in New York City. Applicants must have a valid work permit to work in New York City.
1. Sub contacts and sub grants
- Initial review of financial reports before submitting to Grants Manager, Senior Finance Officer and program person for approval.
- Update Budget versus Actuals template for sub-recipients and sub-contractors based on financial reports or invoices, for review by primary grant manager.
- Review and reconcile meeting/planning expenses and ensure appropriate coding against the grant if applicable.
- Support primary grant managers with tracking, review and filing of backlog and current financial reports and program reports.
- Follow-up with sites and partners when reports are not complete or not submitted on time.
- Initial review of financial reports before circulating to primary grant manager for final review and approval; forward program reports to program team.
- Ensure financial reports are reviewed at all levels for proper closure of review process.
- Submit financial reports for Trial Master Files (TMF) to TMF Administrator.
- Coordinate with grant managers on making accurate and timely obligation requests to Finance department after contract or amendment is signed.
- Check wire confirmations are saved in finance folder and send wire confirmations to subrecipient when needed.
- Review supporting documentation for monthly reimbursements comprising of invoices, memos, travel reimbursements, and payment requests forms. Track payments against submitted documentation and save wire confirmations in designated folders.
- Work closely with the Finance Division and Technical Officer to ensure supporting documentations is complete and all approvals are obtained. Follow-up with consultants on any missing or incomplete documentation related to travel reimbursements.
3. Other matters
- Ensure submission of monthly time sheets by team members of the Research division.
- Prepare summary excel file of monthly time sheets submitted by team members of RD for submission to Finance Division at the end of every month.
- Update tracker for travel of RD staff.
- Review monthly Finance reports along with Senior Finance Officer and Grants Manager to ensure proper coding of payment requests.
- Ensure revisions and corrections are completed by Finance.
- Complete audit forms when requested by the subrecipient for approval by Grant Managers.
- Support grant managers in the creation/updating of templates/forms for budgets and financial reports.
- Support RD team members on drafting finance-related policies.
- Assist and/or manage special projects/reports and administrative tasks as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and skill set:
- BA Accounting or related degree
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in accounting and finance, preferably international experience within a non-profit or similar setting
- Intermediate to advanced expertise in MS Excel including proficiency in using pivot tables
- Strong analytical and communication skills
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where Vital Strategies pays generously towards the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 15 paid vacation days (rising to 20 paid vacation days from fourth year of service and 25 from seventh year onwards), 13 paid federal holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; paid sick days; retirement savings plan; commuter benefits and basic life and personal accident insurance.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send CV and a cover letter, including salary expectations to email@example.com indicating the position applied for in the subject line. Closing date for applications is August 10, 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.