Part Time Contract
Details: $440 a week
5535 Arroyo Road
YMCA East Bay Outdoor School at Camp Arroyo is hiring Naturalists for Spring 2018 to begin in March.
Naturalists lead three-, four- and five-day education programs for fourth through sixth graders from around the Bay Area, September through June. Our experiential curriculum focuses on sustainability in the following lesson areas:
• Organic gardening • Green architecture and renewable energy • Native Ohlone culture • Local ecology hike • Freshwater Ecology • Three-mile hike with an emphasis on personal accomplishment, watersheds, and geology • Team building initiatives and the climbing wall • In-depth elective classes designed by each naturalist • Challenge course (high and low ropes elements) facilitation for weekend groups
Essential Job Duties:
As a naturalist, you will be responsible for the following each week:
• Teaching the above curriculum to the same group of 14-16 students for the week • Developing experiential, inquiry-based lesson plans • Facilitating community-building initiatives with groups • Orienting participants to program areas, including dining hall and cabins • Leading two to three meals in dining hall • Leading one to two structured activities during student recreation time • Working two evening programs (skit nights, night hike, or dance) • Assisting with the prep, maintenance, and clean-up of program supplies and areas • Participating in staff development • Working occasional weekend programs
• Prefer at least 2 years of experience in environmental education programs, especially residential programs • At least a four-year degree or equivalent experience • Knowledge of the above curriculum areas or the passion and follow-through to learn more • Experience working with a diversity of children from all socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds • Ability to work flexible work hours • Strong communication and interpersonal skills • Positive management skills with children • Ability to walk up to 5 miles per day • Musical and acting abilities are a plus! (It is a camp setting, so be prepared to perform in front of large groups of kids!) • Current First Aid and CPR certification, with AED training • Previous challenge/ropes course experience preferred • Lifeguard certification, WFR/EMT certifications, and language skills are desirable • Flexibility, a positive attitude and a sense of humor are absolutely required!
• $440 per week
• Eligible for medical coverage after short waiting period. It is an employee contribution plan that is heavily subsidized by the YMCA. You may choose to waive these benefits.
• Onsite housing
• Food during programming
• Stipend for development opportunities
• Pro-deal accounts with various outdoor equipment vendors
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at YMCA of the East Bay. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a resume with 3 references and a cover letter to: email@example.com
Alex Vandermeys YMCA Camp Arroyo 5535 Arroyo Rd. Livermore, CA 94550
Submissions will be considered on a rolling basis, position open until filled.