Pier 86, W 46th St & 12th Ave
Copy Writer & Editor
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, one of New York City’s most original educational institutions, uses history and technology to inspire innovation and leadership. A collection of technological firsts informs visitors about modern advancements, showcases what is possible and encourages people to dream. The Intrepid Museum has delivered high-quality education programming to hundreds of thousands of students, teachers and lifelong learners for over 25 years and its Access Initiative continues to respond to the growing need for quality Museum experiences for all audiences of all abilities.
The Intrepid Museum is seeking a highly organized, experienced Copy Writer & Editor to proofread, fact-check, edit and write copy that supports the Museum’s mission. Work closely with all Museum departments to review written materials and produce copy when necessary.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Edit, fact-check and proofread copy to ensure clarity, accuracy, adherence to style guidelines, and conformity to the Museum’s mission, voice and brand. Content includes the following:
- Museum publications (e.g., newsletters and annual reports)
- Exhibition scripts
- Marketing materials (e.g., website copy, direct mail, email and advertisements)
- Event-related collateral (e.g., exhibition guides, event programs and invitations)
- Articles submitted to professional publications by Museum staff
- Fundraising materials (e.g., grant proposals and applications)
- Speeches for various Museum executives with distinct constituents/audiences
- Contribute copy to the Museum’s blog and email newsletters.
- Produce articles for the annual report.
- Perform other duties as required by management.
Qualified candidates will have a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications or related field required. Five to six years of experience writing and editing copy for print and electronic outlets, with demonstrated understanding of the varying tone, audiences and editorial standards for each. Strong organizational skills and the ability to meet and juggle multiple deadlines across different departments. Ability to manage long-term projects, handle multiple projects simultaneously and discern priorities. Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style. Impeccable grammar and sophisticated verbal and written communications skills. Ability to provide edits and suggestions with diplomacy and tact. Ability to think strategically and creatively. Ability to work independently as well as in a team. Some knowledge of cultural institutions preferred. Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings as necessary
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For consideration, e-mail resumes and cover letter with salary requirement to: email@example.com.
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in the subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by employer.