Details: Salary commensurate with experience
Since 1877, The Fresh Air Fund has unlocked the limitless potential of more than 1.8 million New York City children from low-income communities. Each year, thousands of children enjoy outdoor summer adventures through visits with volunteer host families along the East Coast and Southern Canada and at The Fund's five overnight camps in Fishkill, NY. Fresh Air children also participate in year-round leadership and educational programs.
The Fresh Air Fund (‘The Fund’) seeks an experienced Special Events professional to develop the strategy for and execute all aspects of two high-profile benefit events and several smaller events and meetings.
The Special Events Director serves as the lead on all aspects of planning and production of The Fund’s two high-profile events: the Fall Benefit & Silent Auction, and the Spring Benefit. Candidates will demonstrate commitment to maintaining and exceeding the high quality and fun spirit of The Fresh Air Fund events. The Director also serves as the point person for The Fresh Air Fund Council, a dynamic group of developing leaders who are passionate about The Fund’s mission. The Director must be comfortable as a frontline fundraiser to help achieve financial goals and be able to work with and guide Board-level volunteers, executive staff and a Junior Board. The Special Events Director reports to the Director of Development and manages the Special Events Coordinator and volunteers as needed.
● Lead the strategy for all components of event design, production, and execution, creating a fun, inspiring, and meaningful experience for guests at the Fall Benefit and Spring Benefit.
● Develop and implement fundraising strategies to reach revenue goals; identify and solicit event sponsors; cultivate new and existing donors.
● Identify, recruit, and manage event leadership and committees.
● Oversee and coordinate all event vendors and consultants, including negotiating contracts.
● Oversee and coordinate production of event printing and solicitation (mail and email).
● Manage all data and record-keeping related to the events.
● Lead excellent post-event follow-through including follow up on outstanding pledges, debriefing meetings to solicit stakeholder feedback to incorporate into future plans.
● Serve as primary point and relationship manager for The Fresh Air Fund Council, managing the Council’s involvement in the Fall Benefit as well as promoting additional opportunities for Council members to be involved with The Fund’s programs.
● Collaborate across Fresh Air Fund departments to ensure all events have a strong mission component; provide event logistics support for events and conferences hosted by other departments.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
● College degree with a minimum of 5 years of special events experience, including executing benefit events of 500+ guests
● Enthusiasm for the mission of serving children in New York City’s low-income communities.
● Experience working with Board members and Event leadership, providing excellent guidance, attention, and follow through.
● Superior project management and organizational skills, including developing and adhering to a budget; ability to prioritize.
● Team player who can build strong relationships with internal and external partners;
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Handles pressure with grace and diplomacy; able to anticipate problems and present solutions quickly.
● Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, PowerPoint); familiarity with event database systems and comfort with learning new systems and technologies.
● Familiarity with silent and live auctions.
● Familiarity with the New York philanthropic community a plus.
● Evening hours and weekend work required as necessary.
The Fresh Air Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
Email resumes and cover letters to DevJobs@freshair.org with Special Events Director in the subject line. No calls please.
Generous benefits package including health, vacation and retirement.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required