Child Clinician; HRSA
The Institute for Health and Recovery (IHR) is a statewide service, research, policy, program development and capacity building agency. IHR designs its services based on an understanding of the impact of trauma. IHR’s mission is to develop a comprehensive continuum of care for families, individuals, youth and pregnant and parenting women affected by alcohol, tobacco and other drug use, violence/trauma, mental health challenges and other health issues. IHR’s CARF accredited treatment programs provide holistic interventions for hard to reach and high-risk individuals and families.
Summary Statement: The Child Clinician will support IHR’s mission to develop a comprehensive continuum of care for women, families, individuals, youth and pregnant and parenting women affected by alcohol, tobacco and other drug use, violence/trauma, mental health challenges and other health issues. The Child Clinician will provide mental health screening and therapy to children 0-6 years; collects evaluation data and builds rapport with clients and their families.
Note: This is a full-time 40 hours/week position and is based in IHR’s Cambridge office.
Reports to: Director of Early Childhood Trauma Services
▪ Promote healthy mother-child relationships and pragmatic clinical trial for women in opioid treatment and their infants
▪ Enhance overall maternal mental health and maintenance in Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) treatment; and improve infant social-emotional development in pregnant /parenting women receiving treatment for OUDs.
▪ Work with mothers to develop sell-worth and skills that build connection with their babies, using principles of CPP, Relational-Cultural Theory, and Reflective Function
▪ Provide mental health screening and referral of the mother and their babies for further assessment and/or services as needed
▪ Participate in collecting research data and fidelity measures for this randomized controlled trial (RCT.)
▪ Participate with an advisory panel of consumers, researchers and public health officials to translate findings into practice and policy
▪ Maintain all written reports and records (including electronic health records) accurately and in a timely manner
▪ Weekly Supervision with Supervisor
▪ Participate in Team meetings including IHR and Boston University, School of SW
▪ Communicate with IHR’s main office in Cambridge through use of shared online calendars, sign in – out board, time sheets, and check in/out with supervisor;
▪ Attend team and agency staff meetings;
▪ Regular attendance and punctuality is required
▪ Other related duties
▪ Problem Solving
▪ Development and Continual Learning
▪ Adaptability and Flexibility
▪ Valuing Diversity
▪ Customer Focus
▪ Master’s degree in social work, counseling, psychology, public health or related field.
▪ Clinical license (LICSW, LCSW, LMHC, LMFT) preferred;
▪ At least 5 years of experience working with young children and their families
▪ Experience in home-based services.
▪ Individuals with first-hand experience in substance use disorders are encouraged to apply
▪ Ability to work effectively with individuals and families from diverse cultural groups
▪ Self-starter with ability to work independently
▪ Demonstrate oral and written communication skills
Other Requirements: (If Applicable)
▪ Valid driver’s license, good driving record, and regular access to a reliable vehicle;
▪ Business Class Rider on Motor Vehicle Insurance, if transporting clients (within one month of start of job)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit: stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift products and supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
Reasonable accommodation will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description is subject to change at any time.
IHR offers a rewarding work environment with competitive salary, generous benefits and a strong commitment to diversity. IHR is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create and welcoming a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required