Day One seeks a Communications & Development Coordinator to join our Development and Communications team. This position will support all aspects of fundraising and communications strategy implementation and report to the Development & Grants Manager and the Communications Manager.
Day One Overview
Since 2003, Day One has been the only organization in New York devoting its full resources to preventing intimate partner violence (IPV) among young people. Day One partners with youth to end dating abuse and domestic violence through community education, supportive services, legal advocacy and leadership development. Our multi-disciplinary approach brings together a highly collaborative staff with expertise in legal, social service and education service provision. Serving New York City youth up to 24 years of age, our Direct Services Program provides direct legal representation, advice and information, individual and group counseling and case management services to clients. Through the Community Education Program, Day One educates young people in schools and youth programs about IPV, consent, and healthy relationships, and trains professionals and parents to support teens experiencing abuse. Our Youth Voices Network is a group of young survivors who conduct awareness and advocacy projects, sharing their stories to promote healing and prevention.
Day One recognizes that anti-violence work is emotionally demanding and professionally complex. We strive to create an office culture that invests in the wellness of staff and leads to employee sustainability. Office policies are designed to promote healthful practices and establish a supportive and collaborative environment for and among staff.
The ideal candidate will comfortably coordinate the following:
- Assist with the creation and review of editorial content for print and online communications materials
- Help develop strategic social media campaigns
- Draft content for direct emailing communications and fundraising campaigns using Mailchimp mailing system
- Maintain a media coverage story bank
- Sustain organizational focus on identity and branding
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of fundraising solicitations
- Develop systems to track project and grant proposals for corporate, government, and foundation funding opportunities
- Research potential donors and foundations using various resources
- Assist in the planning and execution of Day One's annual Voices Against Violence Gala and other events
- Maintain Salesforce CRM database
- Coordinate with staff responsible for data management, analyze fundraising data, and prepare reports for funding contracts
- Draft donation acknowledgements and appeal letters
- Manage Development and Communications volunteers
- Attend and support Day One meetings and events as needed and assigned
- Contribute to staff meetings, retreat, and other internal meetings with appropriate content, views and suggestions
- Meet requirements of internal staff management processes including performance reviews, supervisory meetings, work plans, etc.
- Provide administrative support and perform other duties as assigned
Ideal candidates for this position will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work in relevant field
- Experience working at a nonprofit or internship (preferred)
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills, as well as a meticulous attention to detail and ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- Self-motivation and flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities in a growing organization
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Superior written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to capture ideas, an engaging writing style, and the ability to convey complex messages and make them accessible to a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of and experience in working professionally with online tools and social media for communication
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Drive applications and strong internet skills required
- An eye for creative design and multimedia (graphic design and/or HTML proficiency a plus)
- A demonstrated passion for youth, anti-violence or related social justice work and a commitment to contributing to positive social change
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience. Day One offers a benefits package that includes health, dental and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; a 401k retirement plan with match; and generous vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter as a single Word or pdf attachment to the Executive Director at email@example.com using the subject line "Communications & Development Coordinator". Please describe your interest in the position, include your gender pronouns, and provide your salary requirement in your cover letter. We regret that only applicants considered for the position will be contacted by Day One.
Day One does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other category protected by law. We are genuinely committed to these principles of equity and inclusion, which are core to our organizational culture and our approach to service. To truly make a difference, we must ensure that our staff, partners, volunteers and supporters reflect the communities in which we work.