Details: This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position, including benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
CENTINELA YOUTH SERVICES (CYS), INC.
A Private Nonprofit Corporation, An equal opportunity employer
Program Specialist I (Volunteer Coordinator)
The mission of Centinela Youth Services, Inc. (CYS) is to strengthen families and communities by empowering youth to resolve conflicts and overcome obstacles in order to become successful students and contributing adults. CYS is a 501c3 non-profit, restorative justice organization established in 1975. CYS operates a variety of innovative programs proven to increase student performance; reduce school dropout rates, gang involvement, youth violence and crime and ultimately help preserve families. CYS is leading innovation that is transforming youth justice in LA and the state, with a commitment to both youth development and serving victims of youth crime, while impacting systemic change to end the school to prison pipeline. CYS is also providing leadership to critical juvenile justice reform in LA County, and as a result is growing rapidly. With a robust community engagement and volunteer force to spread restorative practices, CYS is seeking an energetic, creative and dynamic leader to expand our vibrant volunteer program.
Experience in managing volunteers or similar groups of people toward completion of projects/tasks. Graduation from an accredited high school and graduation from a college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree. Candidate must also be able to work well under stress, meet deadlines and must pass background clearance and TB test. Must possess a passion for empowering community engagement and giving others the structure and support they need to be able to actively contribute their full talents in a meaningful way to support the CYS mission.
- Training and experience with restorative practices and/or mediation
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills to supervise a team of individuals with different perspectives and diverse backgrounds
- Ability to analyze data and evaluate performance against expectations
- Computer skills especially Microsoft Office, as well as social media competence
- Experience coordinating small to mid-size events and presentations
- High level of organizational skills
- Bilingual – Spanish-speaking is helpful, but not required.
General Functions and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the CYS, Inc. Director and/or assigned Supervisor, the duties of the Volunteer Coordinator include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Enhancing CYS’s volunteer program by creating an experience that demonstrates respect for each volunteer’s time and talents;
- Conducting volunteer interviews that identify applicant’s qualifications and skills, as well as provide clear instructions and expectations for each volunteer position;
- Assigning the appropriate volunteer to the correct responsibility or task;
- Supervising the administrative aspects of the volunteer program including completing timely and accurate volunteer schedules and activity reports;
- Collecting and analyzing data measurements related to volunteer involvement, impact, and retention;
- Collaborating on the development of volunteer position descriptions, training expectations, and professional development opportunities for volunteers;
- Engaging in proactive and regular community outreach by representing CYS and the CYS mission at various community meetings and collaborative networks;
- Coordinating recognition activities and special projects as needed to enrich the volunteer experience and strengthen volunteer retention.
- Recruiting and supporting a team of 75 volunteer mediators and 20-35 interns
Other duties may be assigned as needed.
Performing duties of the Volunteer Coordinator may require spending the majority of the day walking, standing, sitting and regularly driving back and forth to off-site locations. Must possess a valid California driver’s license, have use of a motor vehicle and be able to provide evidence of automobile liability insurance. CYS maintains offices and work sites in the following locations: Hawthorne, Inglewood, the San Fernando Valley, South Los Angeles and Compton. This position is based at our Inglewood office.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com for consideration. Recruitment for this position will end upon receipt of a sufficient number of resumes. Only those applicants with the most relevant qualifications and knowledge will be invited to participate in the oral interview. No phone calls please.
CYS, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, ancestry, religion, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
CYS, Inc. provides reasonable accommodations consistent with its legal obligations. Therefore, applicants who may need reasonable accommodation or other assistance in relation to a disability or religion, at any point within the application process or thereafter if hired, should immediately inform CYS, Inc. by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about CYS, Inc. or the services provided, you may visit the website at cys-la.org.