This position offers partial remote work
Schedule: Monday through Friday, but some evening and weekend work as needed
Benefits: Medical, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, 403(b) Retirement plan
Start date is TBD
Reporting to the CEO as a member of the Executive Leadership Team, the Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer is the principal strategist for The People Concern’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Program. The Officer will be able to build upon foundational work in an anti-racist organization that is already on the journey towards true equity and inclusion for all staff and the people that we serve.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Oversight - Exercise an advanced level of DEI expertise, knowledge, skill and consultative leadership to ensure the Agency’s overall DEI Program: 1) is grounded in sound DEI tenets, 2) harmonizes with EEO/AA legal and regulatory requirements, and 3) reflects continuity, integration and institutionalization of diversity, equity and inclusion as operating principles across the entire organization.
- Ensure the Agency’s actions are reflective of the highest standards of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Serve as principal DEI brand ambassador by elevating related themes and messages in both internal and external strategies.
- Advise the CEO and the Executive Leadership Team on strategic integration DEI operating principles into business goals and initiatives, and long range planning processes.
- Collaborate with Executive Leadership Team and Human Resources on The People Concern’s DEI Strategic Plan to create and implement strategies and success measures, ensure alignment in the Agency’s vision, goals and practices, and consistency in internal and external messaging.
- Maintain ongoing focus on operationalizing strategic initiatives and providing sound execution to DEI efforts both internally and externally.
- Serve as a catalyst to leverage best practices and resources across the Agency to promote a culture of inclusion where all individuals across spectra of diversity are able to thrive and be engaged.
- Provide expertise and deep insight using data to inform ongoing calibration of DEI strategies and to guide decision makin
- Serve as DEI thought leader to the Board of Directors related to governance.
- Assist with developing and manage an approved annual DEI budget.
Employee Engagement and Alignment - Serve as consultant to Executive Leaders and their respective management teams to ensure alignment with the Agency’s DEI Strategic Plan and to strengthen cohesion within and among departmental strategies and priorities.
- Partner with key stakeholders to develop systems and processes that enable management accountability for DEI leadership, business goals and results.
- Influence organizational culture through collaboration in establishing DEI operating norms and standardized tools and practices for all staff.
- Communicate risks and issues, and partner with appropriate stakeholders in managing mitigation plans accordingly.
- Manage ongoing executive coaching activities in DEI to support agency leadership in modeling an inclusive culture.
- Serve as a coach to People Leaders on their engagement with DEI strategies and their efforts to strengthen DEI ambassadorship as leaders.
- Oversee, mentor and coach the Agency’s DEI Committee and Employee Resource Groups to promote engagement and contributions aligned with the Agency’s overall DEI Program, including scope of efforts and activities, development of mission, charters, and legacy goals.
- Interface with employees at all levels and across spectra of diversity to foster an environment of engagement with DEI, collaboration, high performance standards, learning and continuous improvement.
- Provide DEI counsel and support across the Agency, including the Agency’s Trauma Informed Care framework.
- Partner with Human Resources to ensure DEI Program components are in compliance with legal and regulatory requirements (e.g., EEO and Affirmative Action).
- Work with the Human Resources team on an ongoing basis to assess and ensure all stages of the employee lifecycle are in line with the Agency’s DEI strategies and priorities.
Surveys and Reporting - Partner with key stakeholders in assessing the cultural and social climate of the Agency and provide ongoing solutions that promote DEI awareness, skill building and create an inclusive culture of belonging to help drive The People Concern’s success as a leading social services and housing agency and employer of choice.
- Report DEI Strategic Plan progress, results and opportunities to support and enhance strategies to the CEO, Executive Leadership Team (and their respective constituencies across the Agency), and Board of Directors.
- Partner on the written Annual DEI Report published internally and externally.
- Prepare and deliver presentations for Executive Leadership Team (and their respective constituencies across the Agency), Board of Directors meetings and agency-wide events/meetings.
- Lead and manage DEI employee surveys and applications to include providing solutions, process improvements, and data and gap analyses for future success.
Program Development - Facilitate development and implementation of programs and services that promote diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the Agency’s workplace culture.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to review and evaluate organization policies and programs through the DEI lens and make recommendations for changes.
- Partner with Learning department, HR and others to develop, implement and facilitate learning opportunities across the agency.
- Create reports and presentations to support recommendations for new programs and initiatives.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to establish the Agency’s Supplier Diversity Program and metrics.
External Advocacy and Collaboration - Support the management of diverse strategic external partnerships and strategy development in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Assist in positioning The People Concern as “Employer of Choice” by communicating and promoting agency diversity and workplace programs in the external community and defining strategies to promote The People Concern as a best-in-class employer.
- Work with key stakeholders across the Agency to optimize opportunities to tell our diversity, equity and inclusion story.
- Advise key stakeholders regarding critical events in which the Agency should participate, sponsor, or increase presence to improve positioning as a preferred employer and an organization that advocates for social justice.
- Stay abreast, research, evaluate and recommend workplace trends and innovative solutions to promote diversity, equity and inclusion and talent strategies.
- Represent the Agency in external venues to include board and advisory positions where applicable, speaking engagements, workshop facilitation and conferences.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, HR Management or a related field from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience, is required. Master’s Degree in Business, HR Management or a related field and/or DEI Professional Certification desirable.
- 6+ years of subject matter expertise in Diversity & Inclusion work with a minimum 3 years as a senior-level D&I professional within a medium to large organization (over 500 employees), preferably social services or non-profit sector, is required with strong experience in designing, managing and successfully implementing corporate diversity, equity and inclusion strategic plans and programs.
- Solid practical knowledge of employment laws and regulations governing HR policies and programs required. Strategic Human Resources experience, including responsibility for Affirmative Action Plans, is desirable.
- Proven experience working directly with CEO, Executive Leadership and Board of Directors on Diversity & Inclusion strategies and programs required, with a record of consulting to business leaders and designing, developing, and implementing high impact team effectiveness and capability building solutions in medium to large, complex organizations, using a variety of delivery methodologies.
- Experience with research and data analysis, and a demonstrated capacity for data-driven decision-making.
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to maintain a high degree of integrity, credibility, and trustworthiness, and ability to build strategic networks with Internal and External Stakeholders required.
- Strong communication and platform skills; excellent verbal, written, presentation and public speaking skills required, with demonstrated ability to inspire, mentor and influence others to achieve solutions to meet organization objectives, proactive in providing solutions, resolving issues and overcoming obstacles. Ability to be discerning and consistent in morale and judgment, especially when facing opposing views and arguments.
- A systems orientation to program development grounded in proven practices.
- Proven change management skills.
- Demonstrated uncompromising level of confidentiality and discretion in handling sensitive and proprietary information.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high caliber work within a matrixed, collaborative, fast-paced environment. Strong organizational skills needed to interface with departments across the Agency.
- Bi-lingual – English/Spanish preferred.