Part Time Contract
About Team Brookline
Team Brookline, the Town of Brookline’s official Boston Marathon team, is a dedicated group of adult runners who train together for the Boston Marathon while raising funds and awareness for five partner charities that play an integral role in strengthening and enriching our community: The Brookline Center for Community Mental Health, Brookline Education Foundation, Brookline Library Foundation, Brookline Symphony Orchestra, and Brookline Teen Center. Over the past five years, Team Brookline runners have raised over $1.25 million, an amazing accomplishment that has made a true impact in the lives of all who live, work, and go to school in Brookline. Team Brookline is managed by The Brookline Center for Community Mental Health on behalf of the Town of Brookline. The Team Manager partners with and reports to The Brookline Center’s Chief Development Officer (CDO).
For more information on the team, please visit www.teambrookline.org.
Team Manager Overview
Team Brookline is seeking a charismatic, outgoing, and exceptionally well-organized Team Manager who will grow and strengthen the team program and increase community engagement with it. The Team Brookline Manager is responsible for leading all facets of the team program, creating an outstanding training and philanthropic experience for runners, sponsors and volunteers, while raising public awareness of Team Brookline. The Team Manager works closely with runners to support their training and fundraising success and with leaders of our five partner charities to generate partnerships, engage the community, and promote the Team Brookline brand. The successful candidate will be a positive, energetic, enterprising, and detail-oriented professional.
This is a rewarding part-time, contract position, summer 2018 through May 2019, requiring availability during the workday, as well as occasional evenings and some weekends.
- Marketing and recruitment: Create and execute integrated marketing and communications plans to advance the Team Brookline program through online/print/social media and events. Recruit a robust pool of runner applicants. Identify and leverage opportunities to build community engagement and team awareness, including directing team photography and video collection/sharing. Manage and grow team social media community and maintain the team website.
- Team selection and management: Lead the vetting and selection process for our 30+ runner team in coordination with the CDO, team coach, and partner charities. Manage the completion of runner contracts and BAA waivers. Track and report on runner training and fundraising progress.
- Training: Motivate and support team runners in achieving their training goals. Work collaboratively with team coach to develop season training plans, identify run routes, secure water stop needs (volunteers, supplies, transportation), and manage runner updates/progress.
- Fundraising: Assist and motivate runners to meet or exceed their fundraising goals. Work collaboratively with partner charities to encourage runners to follow fundraising best practices, providing incentives, personal outreach/coaching, weekly communications, fundraising strategies and tips.
- Team meetings and events: Plan and execute monthly team meetings, workshops, an appreciation dinner, and other team social/training events.
- Partnerships: Successfully grow local business support of the team, identifying new sponsorship prospects, managing partnership marketing and sales efforts, and activating sponsorship benefits throughout the season.
- Volunteer management: Direct volunteer recruitment and engagement, ensuring adequate staffing at all team events and creating a rewarding volunteer experience.
- Marathon Monday: Manage start to finish logistics, including team deployment to Hopkinton, race route cheering stations, runner tracking, and volunteer management.
- Manage, track and report on program revenues and expenses.
- Build Team Brookline alumni program and leverage relationships with past runners to advance team goals.
- Represent Team Brookline program with partners and at public events as needed.
- Passion for health and fitness, knowledge of running and sports, love for the Boston Marathon!
- Previous participation on/with an athletic team.
- Enthusiasm for Team Brookline’s mission and its charity partners’ causes.
- Significant prior marketing, volunteer management, event-planning, partnership development, and fundraising experience.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including ability to create content for and manage social media platforms.
- Unstoppable attention to detail and a proven ability to manage multiple projects, establish priorities, and effectively meet deadlines.
- Superior collaborative skills and effective problem-solving abilities; demonstrated ability to manage up, down, and across an organization; ability to inspire participants with various backgrounds and skills.
- Willingness to respond to runner inquiries during and outside of business hours and to head up training and fundraising activities on occasional evenings and some weekends.
- Well-organized, self-motivated, goal-oriented, and able to see over the horizon and operate with a sense of pragmatism and urgency.
- Ideal candidates will have prior experience staffing or participating in a similar athletic fundraising program.
- Experience having run the Boston Marathon as a charity runner not required, but a plus!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications as a single PDF to email@example.com.