Details: Hourly 35 hours/week depending upon experience
HEALTH EDUCATION SPECIALIST
The Health Education Specialist is primarily responsible for delivering our Puberty Talk and Teen Talk sexual health curricula to 5th through 9th grade students in public schools, private schools and community programs, primarily in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties.
- Formulate course specific lesson plans, consistent with Health Connected’s sexual health curricula that are age and culturally appropriate to the priority population.
- Effectively present all course specific curricula in classrooms to students with diverse learning needs.
- Collect and compile data on students participating in Health Connected’s courses.
- Transfer data from paper format into appropriate Health Connected’s online database systems.
- Uphold positive and professional partnerships with teachers and other school administrators.
- Participate in local school/community health fairs, forums, conferences and/or Health Connected’s provider trainings as needed.
- Bachelor's degree or 4+ years equivalent experience. Background in health education, or related coursework, strongly preferred.
- Experience working with youth from diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, especially in groups.
- Extensive knowledge of reproductive and sexual health issues.
- Knowledge or background in health equity or reproductive justice issues.
- Experience and comfort discussing sexual health issues with diverse student and adult populations.
- Proven skills and adaptability in planning and delivering a health education curriculum.
- Classroom management and group facilitation talent.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven self-starter who exhibits a strong sense of teamwork and is committed to program improvement.
- Ability to work independently and be flexible with one’s weekly schedule.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Prezi, Google apps, and capacity/willingness to learn new software/technology quickly.
- Must be available to work during school hours (8:00-3:00) and have access to reliable transportation.
- Excellent organizational management abilities and attention to detail.
Health Connected is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse backgrounds and historically underrepresented communities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Reports to: Youth Services Manager
Employment Type/Schedule: Part Time, 15 hours/week, non-exempt for 2018-2019 school year with possibility of full-time, permanent position.
Benefits: Mileage reimbursement available. Professional development opportunities also available.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to joinourteam(at)health-connected.org. Please include “Health Education Specialist + First and Last Name” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Deadline for applications: November 15, 2018 | Start Date: ASAP
Mileage reimbursement available. Professional development opportunities also available.
Level of Language Proficiency
• Bilingual (fluency in Spanish and/or Mandarin languages) preferred.
Minimum Education Required