1011 1st Avenue
One of New York City’s largest, prominent, non-profit, Catholic Charities, is expanding and is therefore seeking to fill several positions in its finance department. We are in search of several entry/ mid-level to senior level Accountants, within the finance department. The Accounting positions perform important roles in the Controller’s office and supporting programs, with significant responsibilities associated to the accounting for multiple and combined entities of Catholic Charities. This is an excellent opportunity for growth within the organization.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for “corporate” financial reporting and supervising the maintenance and analysis of the underlying general ledgers. This includes ensuring transactions are properly authorized, recorded in the general ledger and analyzed; interim and final financials statements / footnotes prepared on a timely accurate basis, coordinating each entity’s annual audit and recommending improvements to processing, internal controls and reporting.
- Planning – Prepare the monthly/ audit financial calendars
- Audits – Interface with external auditors in conjunction with the annual independent corporate audits
- Supervise, review and maintain the integrity of the monthly and annual general ledger
- Make accounting recommendations on processes and ways to improve timeliness and accuracy
- Able to manage multiple trail balances simultaneously
- Develop written procedures for general ledger staff
- Supervise Cash receipts activities
- Payroll support back-up
- Develop accounting skills of staff
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Master’s a plus
- 7+ years Accounting experience including 4 years in mid–level accounting positions with multiple staff supervision.
- Non-Profit (audit or financial) experience, a plus
- Experience with Lawson accounting systems, a plus
Minimum Education Required