LOCAL INITIATIVES SUPPORT CORPORATION
POSITION TITLE: Program Officer - Charlotte
REPORTS TO: LISC Charlotte Executive Director
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt / Full Time
LOCATION: Charlotte, NC
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 38 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $20 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. These investments have leveraged more than $50 billion in development activity and helped families and communities raise their standards of living. LISC investments impact the lives of nearly 7 million Americans.
Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 31 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco. Our rural programs make an impact in 44 states, and are supported by LISC’s talented and dedicated workforce. Visit us at www.lisc.org
Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC), is seeking a Program Officer to join the Charlotte office. This is a full-time position.
LISC Charlotte was founded in 2018 and is LISC’s newest office. LISC Charlotte has a mission to collaborate with residents and partners to forge inclusive, resilient communities of opportunity. We invest in housing, economic development and community infrastructure by delivering funding, technical assistance and best practices that reduce inequity, promote innovation and catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities. We believe that improving and increasing our housing supply is essential to breaking the cycle of poverty, creating wealth in underinvested areas and sustaining our economy. We meet our goals by serving as an ally, community convener, policy advocate and project catalyst, and by listening to and amplifying local voices and grassroots leadership.
This position will focus primarily on community development and neighborhood revitalization in the Historic West End neighborhoods of Charlotte.
Principal areas of responsibility will include:
- Facilitate community development in the Historic West End neighborhoods, in partnership with local groups, to build community capacity, increase affordable housing development and preservation, promote small businesses and workforce development and other community development functions.
- Manage key relationships with public and private partners. Work closely with City, County and State partners in the development of projects.
- Work with LISC Charlotte staff to develop, launch and manage new programmatic initiatives, including drafting concept papers.
- Work closely with community-based organizations to build capacity and develop programs related to LISC Charlotte initiatives.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with key stakeholders in the community development sector and create linkages between community-based organizations by collecting information on partners, identifying new potential partners, and representing LISC Charlotte in public settings.
- Prepare and oversee grants and contracts and manage program budgets, in consultation with other LISC Charlotte staff.
- Track progress on programmatic milestones. Conduct research, and gather and analyze data that supports programmatic outcomes. Prepare, monitor, and track performance and outcomes of grant recipients and borrowers.
- Develop and coordinate training programs, best practice seminars and webinars.
- Write white papers and stories to highlight program successes.
- Create proposals and reports for foundation, corporate, and public sector funders.
- Research and pursue new funding prospects.
- Manage the stewardship of LISC Charlotte’s funding relationships in collaboration with other staff.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university required; Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 3- 5 years of experience in community development, affordable housing development, housing policy or economic development are required.
- Excellent research, writing, editing and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills; efficient and detail-oriented.
- Familiarity with the Charlotte area market. Working knowledge of the economic, political, and social environments of the Charlotte area, especially lower income neighborhoods, organizations, and community development efforts also strongly preferred. Knowledge of and experience working in the Historic West End preferred.
- Fundraising experience in the nonprofit sector preferred.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills including competency in full Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to collaborate with local partners and multiple teams.
- Capacity to simultaneously work on multiple tasks and set priorities for a challenging workload.
- LISC offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
- To Apply
- Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Program Officer Charlotte- West End” in the subject line of your email.
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Minimum Education Required