Location: New York City. Remote position that will require some travel outside NYC
Reports to: Senior Director of Program Operations
About School Empowerment Network
School Empowerment Network (SEN) is a non-profit organization dedicated to harnessing the power of transformational school leadership to improve options and outcomes for chronically underserved students. SEN was founded in 2015 by a group of experienced district leaders, principals, school founders and master teachers. Core members of our team previously selected and trained leaders for over 120 new schools in New York City, as part of the city’s efforts to replace large, failing high schools with smaller, more effective ones.
SEN has two portfolios of work: partnerships with school districts to turn around low-performing schools through the creation of school reset moments, and the New York City Charter Leader Fellowship (CLF), an initiative to recruit, train, and support school entrepreneurs to open and sustain high-performing charter schools within the five boroughs of NYC.
SEN launched the Charter Leader Fellowship (CLF) to identify and activate NYC’s next cohort of visionary charter school entrepreneurs. Leveraging our team’s decades as successful school founders, principals, coaches, and district leaders, we recruit emerging leaders with the talent and mindsets to launch great new charter schools, and guide them through the intricate processes of planning, state authorization, and launch. The Director of Program Operations will play an integral role in ensuring the successful opening of fellows’ schools in NYC. This will be accomplished by working in close collaboration with the Senior of Director of Operations to comprehensively coach charter fellows and lead them through operational sessions relevant to the three phases of the Charter Leader Fellowship. To learn more about our NYC Charter Leader Fellowship visit: https://www.nyccharterfellowship.org/
In addition to supporting CLF, the Director of Program Operations will support the coordination of SEN’s School Quality Review (SQR) services, which provides school systems with a clear, rigorous, and rubric-based picture of schools’ academic and operational health.
Recruitment & Selection of Charter Leader Fellows
In close collaboration with the Sr. Director of Program Operations, manage the design and implementation of the NYC Charter Leader Fellowship recruitment and selection processes to identify strong candidates to apply to open a charter school.
- Leverage relationships with partner organizations to find strong candidates
- Establish a social media presence and marketing campaigns
- Manage job postings on national, state and local job boards
- Organize and oversee the launch of charter leader recruitment, including notices, and open houses
- Develop project timelines, milestones and deliverables with both internal and external stakeholders
- Manage an online applicant portal to collect applicant information
- Develop selection score forms tied to competencies and look-fors; manage relevant candidate data
- Assess candidates in close collaboration with program lead
- Regularly communicate with applicants on the status of applications, program specifics, logistics, etc.
Charter Leader Fellowship Operational Support & Coaching
In close collaboration with the Senior Director of Program Operations, the Director of Program Operations will provide comprehensive operational support and coaching to our charter fellows in the key elements described below.
Phase 1 – Application Support
- Develop and implement a community engagement plan to build support among key community constituencies and stakeholders
- Build a cohesive board of trustees
- Attain and maintain fiscal health
- Review operational components of charter applications
Phase 2 – School Planning
- Develop a strong staff recruitment and hiring process
- Create and implement a clear family and student engagement plan that drives student recruitment, lottery implementation and registration process.
- Execute site-specific community and family engagement plans.
- Secure a facility and prepare the facility for launch in close collaboration with partner organizations
- Create systems for data reporting tied to student records for internal, board and agency communication
- Select school vendors
- Learn DOE systems; DOE and State compliance
Phase 3 – Post-Opening Support
- Monthly school visits with operational leads to ensure continued capacity building of founding team.
- Prepare for authorizer visits
School Quality Review Responsibilities (~20% of projected time)
The Director of Program Operations will also support the coordination of SEN’s School Quality Review (SQR) services, which provides school systems with a clear, rigorous, and rubric-based picture of schools’ academic and operational health.
- Coordinate operational logistics for SQRs, including scheduling visits and coordinating documents
- Support creation of district- and school-facing SQR reports and communication materials (PPT, data summary, etc.)
- In collaboration with Sr. Director of Program Operations, create and implement practices and procedures that properly manage data pertaining to SEN’s SQR work.
Qualifications & Behavioral Competencies
- Previous experience working with charter schools in an operational capacity
- Must have a high level of personal and professional organization, strategic planning, perseverance and work ethic
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with key stakeholders
- Exceptionally strong project management and time management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to a solutions-oriented mindset
- Ability to navigate fast-moving and rapidly-changing/growing projects
- Strong public presentation skills and ability to provide thoughtful and compelling insights in a variety of settings
- Highly resourceful and ability to effectively work independently
- Expertise in all Microsoft Office Applications and Google Drive
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum of three years professional experience required
- Travel may be required for national charter events and SQR client meetings
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning April 23rd, 2018.
Minimum Education Required