5301 Whittier Blvd., Floor 4
Summary: The Staff Attorney will provide legal representation to low-income clients who are survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault. This position is ideal for a family law attorney with a minimum of 3 years of family law litigation experience looking to join a collegial, public interest law firm. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
About the Organization: Founded in 1973, the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice provides holistic, client-centered, trauma-informed legal services and empowers individuals to secure long-term solutions that result in stable families, violence free homes, and strong communities. At LACLJ, we believe that legal education, advocacy and representation can be the difference between adversity and opportunity and that meaningful access to justice improves lives. Our mission is to fight for the rights of vulnerable families and advocate for a more just legal system and our vision is a strong community where families are safe, stable and free from injustice.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Case Assessment and Strategy Development
• Conducts initial interviews to assess cases for services
• Conducts investigation and research to assess claims
• Recommends level of service and develops case strategy
• Drafts legal documents, conducts discovery, and case management
• Provides oral advocacy and negotiation in hearings and trials
• Connects clients to non-legal supportive services as needed
• Ensures timely and accurate case file maintenance, including electronic records
• Maintains good working relationship with clients through frequent, proactive Communication
• Meets case deadlines and calendar court events and client visits
• Effectively delegates tasks to designated staff, and reviews all work for accuracy and completion
• Delivers community outreach presentations
• Collects and reports case-related data
• Completes grant-required forms
Other Duties: Adheres to standards of professional responsibility; Adheres to all LACLJ policies and procedures, including the standards set forth in the Performance and Evaluation Standards; Participates in mandatory staff trainings and meetings; Other duties as assigned.
• J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
• Membership in good standing in the California Bar
• Two years of litigation experience in Family Law
• Fluency in written and spoken Spanish
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• 3 years of litigation experience
• Previous experience working with domestic violence or sexual assault survivors
• Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people
• Ability to work successfully with people from diverse backgrounds Working Conditions and Physical
• Work will be performed in an office setting at a work station.
• This position requires concentration on tasks while facing distractions.
• This position requires attendance at meetings, both in and outside the LACLJ offices.
• Use of office machines such as computers, photocopiers, and telephones.
• Ability to work at and travel between the LACLJ main office at 5301 Whittier Blvd. in East Los Angeles and other locations such as various Los Angeles Superior Court locations and DPSS offices.
Salary and Benefits: Salary ranges from $52,000 to $60,000 per year depending on experience. LACLJ offers full-time staff a generous benefits package and paid vacation leave including 100% employer-paid medical (Kaiser), dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance and the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA).
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Marilyn Florentino, Office Administrator, via email to email@example.com with the position title in the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, disability, or sexual orientation.