4200 South I-10 Service Road West
New Orleans / Metairie
Catholic Charities Immigration Services, a nonprofit organization, is seeking an Immigration Legal Assistant. The Legal Assistant will support the Immigration Attorneys to prepare various aspects of a client's immigration case. Legal Assistants also serve as interpreters in English and Spanish.
Responsibilities include: Prepare applications for legal relief, conduct legal intakes, screening and assessing eligibility for legal relief, develop legal defense strategies, draft legal statements, and assist attorneys in document review and all aspects of case preparation. As a Translator/Interpreter, duties will include translation of legal forms, certificates, and declarations as well as legal interpretation at court hearings, government interviews, and with pro bono attorneys. Legal Assistants will participate in relevant trainings, and will provide specialized trainings to staff and external parties, including attorneys. Other tasks may include corresponding with clients and government officials by phone, email and in person; managing appointment schedules; filing deadlines and document collection; organizing, maintaining, and updating clients’ case files and records in physical files and case management software; payment collection/invoicing (for non-pro bono cases); mailing; assisting with special projects, as necessary.
Qualifications for the Position:
- Bilingual in Spanish and English (written and oral) required.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a legal environment and/or other relevant experience working with immigrants and/or vulnerable populations strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and culturally competent communication skills. Respect for others and sensitivity to the needs and legal issues affecting people of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently to manage a substantial workload with deadline pressures.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail for a fast-paced and high volume environment.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding all case and client information.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, and ability to learn immigration database/software.
- Candidates must successfully complete required background checks and clearances.
Job Status: Full-time (Non-Exempt), contingent upon grant funding.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org and include in the subject line: Immigration Legal Assistant.
Competitive benefits package available.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required