1518 K Street NW, Second Floor
The National Alliance to End Homelessness (Alliance) is an influential national nonprofit devoted to finding and advancing solutions to homelessness. Our team is focused on making an impact. We seek a dynamic Director for our Homelessness Research Institute (HRI), the research and education arm of the Alliance. Help us create intellectual capital around solutions to homelessness; make sure policymakers, practitioners, and the caring public have the best information about trends and emerging solutions; and engage the media to ensure the best reporting on the issue. If you are interested in using data and research to solve a social problem, consider joining the Alliance.
Who we are looking for:
The Alliance is looking for an experienced Director for its Homelessness Research Institute. We seek a Director who will collaborate closely with senior staff of this mission-driven, education and advocacy organization, working on the forward end of efforts to end homelessness. A successful Director will develop and implement the Alliance’s research agenda, and engage with external stakeholders on research messages.
What you will do:
The HRI Director coordinates the use of national data and research on a variety of topics that relate to homelessness including housing, employment, behavioral health, corrections, child welfare, poverty and race. S/he maintains a solid and accessible base of information on the prevalence and demographics of homelessness, and the characteristics of homeless people. The Director ensures that knowledge about homelessness and its solutions is responsive to active policy and practice questions, and that information is readily available to the media.
Specific tasks include:
- Develop and implement an Alliance research agenda that addresses current issues in the field.
- Analyze local and national data to assist the Alliance staff to understand local-, state-, and national-level trends and developments.
- Assume a leadership role in the homelessness research community, including leading the Alliance’s Research Advisory Council of leading academics and researchers on the issue. This includes periodic development of a national research agenda.
- Work with the research offices of relevant federal agencies including HUD’s Office of Policy Development and Research and HHS’s Office of the Assistant Secretary for Policy and Evaluation.
- Develop, with other Alliance staff, funding proposals that align with Alliance goals.
- Serve as a thought leader within the Alliance and in the field, helping to assess trends, develop Alliance positions, and work with policymakers and practitioners.
- Participate fully with the Communications Department of the Alliance to ensure that all knowledge developed by HRI is broadly communicated to stakeholders through summaries, infographics, and other means.
- Oversee or supervise relevant Alliance and contracted staff.
- Present Alliance research and views at conferences and to external stakeholders.
- Participate in the organization of Alliance conferences, communications, and other responsibilities as determined by the President.
What a successful candidate will need:
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in relevant field (PhD a plus)
- Graduate training in statistics and research methods
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in relevant field
- Federal government or national nonprofit experience preferred
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of social science research methods
- Experience with SPSS and/or other statistical software programs
- Familiarity with research on homelessness, poverty, housing, etc.
- Demonstrated personal initiative
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to the goal of ending homelessness
What we can offer you:
The Alliance is a strong, flexible team of professionals that works collaboratively to achieve its mission of preventing and ending homelessness in the nation. We offer a supportive work environment in which staff has both the responsibility and opportunity to pursue and achieve solutions to a national social problem. In addition to an environment in which every member of the staff is valued and has the opportunity to contribute, the Alliance offers the following benefits.
- Competitive salary
- Employer supported health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance.
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Paid vacation, personal, and sick leave and a generous holiday schedule.
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required