Position: Program Director
Organization: After-School All-Stars New York
Location: New York, New York
After-School All-Stars (ASAS) is one of the leading national after-school program providers in the country. Our comprehensive school-based programs combine academics, enrichment, and health and fitness activities to help build the knowledge and skills children need to succeed, both in school and in life. Founded as a national organization by Arnold Schwarzenegger in 1992, ASAS is building a national model for after-school program delivery through our 17 chapters, all of which serve nearly 75,000 youth in major urban centers. After-School All-Stars is growing in New York City, serving Hamilton-Grange Middle School under a SONYC (School’s Out NYC) grant.
A Unique Opportunity:
ASAS is currently seeking an exceptional and dynamic leader for the Program Director (PD) position. The PD will report to and work closely with the Director for Programs and Operations; general responsibilities include overall program management and leadership, and the development and monitoring of programs at one school site.
- Responsible for effective program planning throughout the year that includes session planning, development of class selections for students, site visits, culminating events, collaboration with core day initiatives, and field trips.
- Implement programming according to the After-School All-Stars program design, monitor budget, and ensure grant objectives are met in alignment with school leadership.
- Work with leadership team to build and implement best-in-class systems, processes, procedures, and tools to support site level operations.
- Ensure implementation of ASAS National Initiatives in school and summer camp programming.
- Recruit, hire, and train effective program staff, capable of managing and leading a classroom and ensure that staff are developing high quality, comprehensive after-school programming.
- Conduct performance reviews and evaluations for program staff.
- Responsible for maintaining student participation and attendance throughout the year via recruitment and retention activities, including “student voice and choice” strategies.
- Ensure that student records and attendance data are maintained in an accurate manner
- Assist in planning and execution of fundraising activities as directed by Executive Director.
- Provide support for organizational operations such as payroll, verifying employee background checks, and reconciling spending reports.
- Document program activities via video, photos, and recording student success stories.
- Serve as a liaison with school personnel and community groups to maintain positive public and working relations of program with community partners.
- Occasional travel off-site meetings, trainings and events.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Who should apply?
The Program Director should embody ASAS’s core values: accountable, collaborative, transparent, proactive, and entrepreneurial. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to lead, coach, and train program staff to accomplish demonstrated objectives, while maintaining robust operational systems ensuring student safety and success. This position requires the flexibility to travel within the greater New York City area, excellent relationship-building skills, and a commitment to the mission to provide youth with quality afterschool programming.
- An undergraduate degree is required. Teaching experience or experience running after-school programs is preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English is a plus.
- Experience working in a leadership or supervisory capacity in a school, after school, day camp or community youth outreach setting.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with school district staff, public officials, private sector officials, parents and community leaders.
- Familiarity with quality criteria for after school programs.
- Familiarity with youth development principles and middle school aged youth
- Ability to communicate effectively and demonstrate sensitivity to others as well as respond to critical incidents and act swiftly in an emergency situation.
· Familiarity with basic computer software programs
· Must clear DOJ & FBI Livescan and Tuberculosis Clearance
· Familiarity and experience with diverse populations strongly preferred
· Availability to work evenings and Saturdays as needed; some travel within the United States required
· Must be on school site during program hours of approximately 3:00-6:00pm.
Starting base salary range is commensurate with qualifications and experience. ASAS offers competitive benefits including, but not limited to health, dental, and vision. This position may include a cell phone and mileage reimbursement, depending on travel needs.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should be in PDF format and answer two questions: 1) Describe a time you set up a process or system. 2) How does the Program Director goal align with your personal mission?
Please put “Program Director, New York” and your last name in the subject heading.
To learn more about ASAS, please visit our website: