Rebuilding Together DC ∙ Alexandria seeks an energetic and experienced Director of Development to manage and advance the fundraising efforts of a $2M+ growing organization with a focus on expanding the base of major gift and corporate donors.
The Director of Development is responsible for setting the vision and strategy for Rebuilding Together DC ∙ Alexandria’s development efforts and for leading the day-today functions of this department. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Development has primary responsibility to secure funding from private philanthropic sources and to grow community engagement and awareness of all of Rebuilding Together DC ∙ Alexandria’s programs, especially as the organization further expands its programs and services into Washington, DC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Together with the Chief Executive Officer, create and implement a comprehensive and donor-centric fundraising plan and strategy to realize and exceed the annual development goals through corporate, individual, foundation, and government grants, and events.
- Drive the identification of new major gift donors (individual, corporate and foundation) as well as build strong relationships to bring them on board as regular, new funders.
- Cultivate and steward all donors, providing an exceptional experience that enhances giving, attracts new supporters, and regularly engages donors in organization’s work, growth, and regional expansion.
- Organize and oversee all fundraising, cultivation, and stewardship activities and events for donors, prospects and partners, including the annual Raise the Roof fundraiser.
- Supervise, mentor, and manage department staff (currently one staff member) and/or AmeriCorps member.
- Create the annual department budget and assume responsibility for its administration; Play a key role in the development and stewardship of organizational and department budgets.
- Utilize CRM database (Salesforce) to track all cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship efforts.
- Develop and maintain departmental metrics, which measure advancement towards fundraising goals as outlined in the annual budget and strategic plans.
- Report to the Board of Directors regularly on progress toward annual fundraising goals.
- Stay abreast of trends and best practices in corporate social responsibility, major gifts, database management, corporate and foundation relations and other related topics to help strategically position efforts and activities.
- Source and manage the use of external vendors and contractors when required.
- Oversee development of written communications for fundraising campaigns and organizational marketing materials and electronic marketing across multiple platforms such as the web, social media, print and digital publications.
- Work with staff and Board Members to integrate communications, branding and programs into fundraising strategies and activities, as appropriate.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the organization—our values, history, culture, communities, programs, constituencies, and governance structure; and understand the base of financial support including short- and long-term funding requirements.
- Develop a culture of philanthropy through the mentorship and training of staff, volunteers and Board of Directors.
- At least 7 years of fundraising experience and progressive leadership with a personal track record of successful fundraising and a proven ability to garner support from and successfully engage with community stakeholders.
- Experience executing special events within budget.
- Experience building and leading strong teams, including managing staff, consultants, and contractors.
- Excellent written, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills, including financial oversight and planning capability, and ability to troubleshoot, multitask and manage several projects at once.
- Energetic self-starter who is open-minded, creative and able to make connections to build and sustain authentic relationships.
- Have extensive knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly corporate giving, major gifts, donor relations, grant writing and event planning.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community; Demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening.
- Strong technical, computer and software skills; experience with Salesforce (or a similar database) is a requirement.
- Bachelor's degree is required.
This is a full-time position with flexibility. Occasional nights and weekends required.
Rebuilding Together DC ∙ Alexandria is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to afford equal employment opportunity to all individuals, regardless of race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation.