130 W. Bruno
Summary: The Major Gifts Manager is responsible for the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of potential major donors capable of making gifts in the $10,000 and up range. The position requires significant strategic thinking and donor management to develop a specific plan through which a potential donor can be moved from financial prospect to major gift. Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills are required including written, verbal, and personal contact with donors and their advisors. The Major Gifts Manager will grow the donor database by identifying and developing major new donors. In addition, the Major Gifts Manager will develop a consistent, long term, close relationship with donors - properly thanking each donor for his/her gifts and informing the donor of the Agency’s activities and uses of the donor’s gifts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties could be assigned.
- Manage a portfolio of 75 -100 donors, drawn from a mix of, long-time donors and new prospects who have been researched and pre-qualified by the development department.
- Engage in face-to-face solicitation of major gifts, and partner with senior and program staff on donor engagement opportunities.
- Create individual goals for each person in the portfolio based on the donor’s history of giving and the Agency’s knowledge of that donor’s potential.
- Create a plan for each donor/prospect in the portfolio and execute that plan so that individual donors are retained and upgraded.
- Provide support to senior staff in preparation for solicitations, including developing appropriate briefing materials in advance of meetings.
- Develop and execute cultivation and stewardship opportunities for donors and prospects in the portfolio, and participate in donor-focused events.
- Oversee all aspects of the planning and execution of the membership program including oversight of two annual events.
Education and/or experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years’ fundraising experience including proven success in developing major new donors.
- Proven ability to create a climate of confidence and trust on the part of donors.
- Proficiency in computer skills including use of Microsoft Office, Raisers Edge.
- Ability to track the progress of each major account using Raisers Edge and other database programs.
- Established track record of identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and maintaining major gifts from individuals.
- Self-Starter. High energy personality with the ability to identify and develop new donors.
- Able to build strong professional relationships with donors and their advisors.
- Proven ability to work well with teams in complex situations and to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Superior communication skills.
- Well-honed interpersonal skills; ability to interact comfortably with individuals at all levels.
- High energy, enthusiasm, and a strong work ethic.
- A team-oriented, collaborative style.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and follow-up skills.
- Able to participate in agency/community events, as necessary.
- A genuine interest in the Homeboy mission.
Minimum Education Required