District of Columbia
JOB TITLE: Manager, Communications
REPORTS TO: Communications Director
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
LOCATION: Washington, DC
Since 1999, WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease has been the nation’s only patient-centered organization solely devoted advancing women’s heart health through patient support, community education, and advocacy. WomenHeart is both a coalition and a community of thousands of members nationwide, including women heart patients and their families, health care professionals, health advocates, all committed to helping women live longer, healthier lives. This $4.5 million organization is poised for rapid expansion and leadership in the field.
The Manager of Communications will play a key role in executing plans and programs to support WomenHeart’s brand, and promote women’s heart health. The ideal candidate will have strong project management experience, and can balance the requirement to independently drive programs, while proactively anticipating obstacles and reporting updates. A major focus of the job will be to manage and execute grant-based communications programs on behalf of WomenHeart’s corporate funders.Expertise in effectively managing newsletter communications, strong writing skills, and experience with media relations.
Duties & Responsibilities
A top priority is to assist in the development and implementation of an integrated organizational marketing plan to include brand management, media relations, communications and public/partnership outreach. The goal is to raise the visibility of WomenHeart among key audiences and to position WomenHeart as the “go to” source for information on women and heart disease as well as the charity of choice for those wanting to support and get involved in the cause. The plan will include strategies to reach key audiences including:
- Health professionals/providers
- Funders/potential funders
- Policy makers
- Nonprofit and advocacy organizations
- Monitor all organizational communications for adherence to brand positioning
- Assist in the development of an annual media relations plan for key events and national monthly observances.
- Develop news releases on issues relevant to WomenHeart.
· Serve as writer and editor for the monthly national external newsletter, Heart to Heart and weekly volunteer digest email, Champions of the Heart.
- Create talking points, video scripts, media statements, and blogs.
- Provide program communications support for WomenHeart support networks and volunteer services and assist with the development of communications aspects of existing programs.
- 5+ years in a corporate or nonprofit environment with increasing responsibility and a proven track record of success.
- Detail oriented and ability to juggle numerous activities at the same time and think critically.
- Knowledge of AP Style.
- Outstanding verbal and written skills.
- Mature and responsible with ability to work independently, complete multiple projects in a timely manner, and respect donor confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in teams across the organization.
- Familiarity with content management systems, online PR tools such as Cision or Vocus.
· Bachelor degree in Communications, Journalism, Political Science, Public Policy, Education, Marketing, or a related field.
Minimum Education Required