The Senior Director, Development Support will play a central role in the Development Division’s mission to provide resources on behalf of the World Food Programme. The person in this role must work collaboratively to enable all development channels to execute on respective strategies through leadership and management of cross-cutting functions. Reporting to WFP USA’s Chief Philanthropy Officer, this person will lead and manage the donor care, prospect research and program knowledge functions with a goal to develop them as centers of excellence. The senior director will establish practices and procedures for the effective and efficient allocation of these assets across all development channels. The role will also provide executive support to the Chief Philanthropy Officer in the leadership of the Development Division.
- Enable the successful execution of development strategies by building and leading cross-cutting functions:
- Donor Care
- Assuring appropriate data entry of all gifts to WFP USA
- Ensuring proper donor acknowledgement and a key component of donor stewardship
- Supporting development channels in collecting appropriate and relevant data
- Establishing performance metrics and accountabilities that build a first-in-class donor support organization
- Prospect Research
- Providing actionable research that enables development channels to build pipelines and reach prospects
- Actively partnering with development channels on strategies to engage prospects
- Providing market data and industry trends that lead to strategy development for pipeline
- Assisting with pipeline management as appropriate
- Content Knowledge and Management
- Staying abreast of WFP program content and impact
- Providing a link between WFP programs and WFP USA development teams
- Assisting development teams in alignment of program goals and donor interests
- Producing, along with development teams, proposals that meet the needs and interests of prospects
- Maintaining a reference library of proposals that can be reviewed and utilized by development teams
- Collaborate and prioritize goals with development channel leaders
- Individual Donors
- Major Donors
- Mid-level Donors
- Small Donors
- Email program
- Direct Mail
- Corporate Partnerships
- Foundation Partnerships
- Lead on cross-cutting opportunities as they arise, such as virtual gatherings, thought-leadership opportunities, or written support documents and work with division leaders to develop other opportunities that may enhance positioning to upgrade, retain and attract new partners
- Effectively manage, develop, and mentor individual development staff
- Enlist Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors where appropriate
- Participate in and contribute to Development leadership team
- Develop deep background in the programmatic mission of WFP USA
- Study market trends and developments that impact fundraising mission of WFP USA
- Support role of Chief Philanthropy Officer in:
- Relationship building with WFP
- Preparation for external and internal meetings, especially Development All-Staff, Development Committee and the Board of Directors
- Strategy Development and Accountability
- Coordinate with other departments of WFP USA, especially Finance and Marketing & Communications to ensure the open exchange of communication and information required for Development teams to be successful
Strategic Planning and Budgets
- Work with development division team for inputs into Strategic Plan.
- Work with teams to establish short-and long-term annual revenue goals, creating assumption underlying performance goals and feedback loops
- Track and assess Key Performance Indicators, making recommendations for course corrections
- Help to promote a culture of philanthropy within WFP USA to effectively position the organization as a charitable recipient of choice.
Donor Program Development
- Oversee the development of donor-centric cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship programs for individuals, including mid-level and major gifts, and planned giving
- Work with the Communications and Development teams to ensure that print and online marketing collateral—including newsletters, website, social media, and annual reports—promote giving and recognize donors for their support.
- Oversee and implement a comprehensive donor stewardship program, including meetings, phone calls, letters, email, and events, ensuring that all donors receive personalized communications and all gifts receive prompt and appropriate acknowledgement.
- Conduct regular reviews of the individual giving program and develop timely and evolving strategies for acquiring, renewing, and upgrading donors at all giving levels.
- Create written solicitations, correspondence, acknowledgements, and stewardship reports.
The successful Senior Director of Philanthropy will be a strong leader who combines strategic thinking, energetic relationship-building, and an aptitude for guiding others in the development and implementation of strong fundraising support practices. The person will be adept at building relationships both externally and internally, with donors and volunteers as well as with colleagues in all WFP USA teams and within a large, complex organization. Additionally, this person will be passionate about applying all of these skills to WFP USA’s mission, and will be completely comfortable working proactively and energetically with a diverse group of people to advance it.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in non-profit development
- At least 5 years in a role with staff management responsibilities in fundraising support.
- Prior experience working with colleagues in diverse roles and noteworthy skills in collaboration
- Facility with complex programmatic work
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Knowledge and Experience
- Proven ability to provide strategic direction and daily oversight for teams with different skill sets and functions.
- History of strategic and creative thinking that has demonstrably increased a donor base and revenue.
- Experience effectively engaging and leveraging leaders, Board members, and senior staff in the fundraising process.
- Understanding of best practices in comprehensive, cross-functional support functions.
- Familiarity with systems and processes required for donor portfolio management, from prospect research techniques to best practices for donor acknowledgment and stewardship.
- Experience using fundraising and prospect software/tools to build an individual major giving program. Salesforce preferred.
- Ability to manage confidential information and observe donor privacy protocols.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
Personal Characteristics and Work Style
- Collaborative and team-oriented individual who can engage and motivate others in a wide variety of functions across an organization.
- Articulate and polished in interactions with high-level individuals and groups.
- Excellent speaker, listener, and writer.
- Strong affinity for WFP USA’s mission and program priorities.