832 Folsom Street
One in 25 children in San Francisco’s schools are experiencing homelessness. Are you passionate about advancing innovative solutions that will end family homelessness by 2020?
If so, we could use your talents as a Housing Intake Specialist at Hamilton Families!
Hamilton Families (HF) is dedicated to ending family homelessness in the San Francisco Bay Area by 2020. HF’s rapid re-housing program helps families find and move into market-rate housing in the Bay Area. We do this through housing search assistance, move-in financial assistance, a medium-term rental subsidy, and home-based case management to help families move toward self-sufficiency. Working collaboratively with the City, the San Francisco Unified School District, and key partners, Hamilton is scaling up this program to assist 800 families with children in the school district.
As an Housing Intake Specialist you will be on a growing team that assesses and manages the flow of Heading Home intake referrals. Use your skills as a listener, technical expert, coach and all around leader to make a real difference.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
● Be a listener: Work with approximately 3-6 families a week to assess their personal and housing needs. Understand their preferences for location and size of housing, and any rental barriers they have.
● Be a technical expert: With a deep understanding of our operational policies and procedures, you will support our team to execute processes and systems that ensure seamless service delivery.
● Be a coach: Build trust and rapport with participants and coach them on how to leverage our organization’s resources for their success. This includes topics such as setting a feasible rental limit, preparing the participant for housing search, and identifying any key factors in securing housing and achieving personal and employment goals.
● Be a leader: Whether it’s role modeling company values, creating clarity from ambiguity, or communicating across functional teams, you’re willing to step up and do what it takes to get the job done.
● Be flexible: This role and its scope, duties, and responsibilities may change to adapt to organizational needs.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
● Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and one year of work experience in a relevant field or three years work experience in a relevant field (e.g., human services, housing, psychology, mental health, etc.)
● You need a CA driver’s license and good driving record, and must be willing to travel throughout the Bay Area.
● Previous experience working with homeless populations and/or knowledge or housing and community resources is a big plus!
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to navigate sensitive conversations and communications to be judgement-free, honest, and kind.
● You must be comfortable with change, ambiguity is a must.
● We value people who can delicately balance big picture goals with detail-oriented implementation. In an ever-changing campaign environment, it’s key for a leader to prioritize multiple deadlines, immediate growing pains, and long-term vision.
● You must be able to manage multiple projects with demanding deadlines with superior organizational abilities, planning, and quality work product delivery.
● You should be experienced with database management, quality control, and file maintenance.
● You should be excellent at establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups.
Great benefits: Hamilton Families (HF) offers excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage, plus tax-advantaged Flexible Spending Arrangements for Health Care and Dependent Care. Employees also have the chance to earn up to $180 per calendar year for participating in various wellness activities and can participate in partnership discounts with various YMCA and 24 Hour Fitness locations. Additionally, HF offers tax-deductible commuter benefits that can be applied to public transit, parking, and ride sharing services like Lyft Line and Uber pool.
Growth and leadership opportunities: The work at HF is designed for individuals to follow their passions and commitment to community. HF takes professional development seriously and offers coaching and training opportunities at every level. We also offer a $1,000 tuition reimbursement to employees each year (after 12 months of employment) and offer dozens of internal and external trainings for staff at every level annually.
Time off: HF employees enjoy generous benefits including 11 paid holidays, 3 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of sick time per year.
Long-term benefits: HF offers an employer-matched 403(b) retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, and other great long-term benefits!
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish - Proficiency test administered during recruitment process
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- To submit an application, use the link above to visit our ADP career portal.
- Please remember to include your resume and brief letter of interest.
- No phone calls or emails.
- Hamilton Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer.