Details: Hourly rate. Full-Time.
RESPOND, Inc, located in Somerville, MA, seeks a highly motivated and passionate Domestic Violence Counselor to provide direct service, case management and coaching to survivors of domestic violence in the RESPOND, Inc. shelter and in our Community Program. The Domestic Violence Counselor protects and affirms the rights of individuals while helping them achieve independence by creating an environment responsive to their needs.
Open position is Tuesday - Saturday 3pm - 11pm
Pay range between $14.42 - $19.83 per hour depending upon education and experience.
Reporting to the Residential Services Coordinator the Domestic Violence Counselor:
- Supports survivors of Domestic Violence in seeking safety and empowerment
- Conducts intakes and assessments for the RESPOND program and/or shelter.
- Answers RESPOND's 24-hour hotline to provide emotional support, referrals and resources.
- Promotes the development of a positive and supportive community at the shelter by supporting individuals, interacting with children, maintaining a clean environment and creating opportunities for group activities in the house.
- Effectively communicates issues (orally and through appropriate documentation) to supervisors and the team to ensure the delivery of quality services to individuals and families.
- Participates in group facilitation.
- Actively participates in weekly supervision and staff meetings.
- Facilitates survivors getting to appointments off-site.
- The successful candidate will be highly motivated, passionate, forward thinking, energetic, and hard-working. Flexibility is a must.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Strong English language communication required.
- Secondary languages of Spanish, Haitian Creole and Portuguese highly desired
- Basic computer knowledge a necessity.
- Must have or be willing to obtain the 25 hour Domestic Violence Counselor Training (we will train if you don't have it).
RESPOND, Inc., a pioneer in the movement to end domestic violence, is New England's first domestic violence agency and the second oldest in the nation. Since its inception in 1974, RESPOND has provided safety and support to over 110,000 victims of domestic violence including adults, teens and children. Through its Community Program, RESPOND provides a 24-hour crisis hotline, individual counseling, advocacy, support groups and children services. The Enhanced Shelter Program provides safe, confidential housing and comprehensive supportive services in a 21 bed facility. More information about RESPOND, Inc can be found at www.respondinc.org
Resume and a letter of interest should be sent to Amanda@respondinc.org. No phone calls please.
Excellent benefits package including health, dental, vacation, personal and sick time.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese and other languages highly desired.
Minimum Education Required