Details: Pay is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Annual reviews include consideration of a raise.
Job Opportunity: Southwest Pennsylvania Outreach Coordinator
Job Type: Organizing and outreach
Schedule: Part-time or Full-time
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Ideal start date is November 2018.
Clean Air Council strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and those with disabilities to apply.
About Clean Air Council
The Council is a member-supported environmental organization serving the Mid-Atlantic Region for 50 years. The Council is dedicated to protecting and defending everyone’s right to breathe clean air and uses public education, community action, government oversight, and enforcement of environmental laws to advocate for a clean and healthy environment.
The Council's team of policy analysts, planners, environmental health educators, attorneys, engineers, and community organizers work to advocate for a cleaner environment, healthier lives for communities facing pollution, and the ability of local residents to have meaningful input on the decisions that impact their health, environment, and quality of life.
The Council seeks to hire an outreach coordinator to implement Clean Air Council’s air quality campaigns and programs in southwest Pennsylvania. As part of the Southwest PA Neighbors for Clean Air initiative, the outreach coordinator will work on a team to help establish 100 groups of 10 neighbors each in southwest Pennsylvania and support these volunteers in taking action to address local and regional air pollution sources. As part of the Protect our Children campaign, the coordinator will also educate, train, and organize parents and residents to advance local regulatory protections from natural gas operations.
- Recruit volunteers to lead or participate in Southwest PA Neighbors for Clean Air groups.
- Relationship-building with and recruitment of community leaders through one-on-one meetings and attendance of organizational or municipal meetings.
- Provide ongoing support and opportunities for public participation or action to advance local and regional air quality campaigns.
- Educate parents and school officials about the health impacts of natural gas infrastructure through presentations and educational materials.
- Organize trainings for parent leaders on skills such as traditional media and outreach.
- Engage residents in planning campaigns to advance local regulatory protections and influence the outcomes of proposed gas infrastructure projects.
- Community organizing and outreach experience.
- Excellent research, written and oral communications skills.
- Previous experience working on or leading an issue-based campaign.
- Experience with traditional media communications a plus.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Environmental Science/Studies/Policy, Community Organizing, or a related field a plus.
- Background with air quality issues or policy a plus.
- Applicants must be located in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Substantial travel will be required, but the Council will cover the cost of public transportation or rental cars if needed.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must attend occasional evening or weekend events/meetings as part of the work week.
This job posting is only a summary of the typical functions of the job and not meant to be a comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities. The responsibilities and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in this description. Additional duties may be assigned. might be part of the job.
- Health and Dental Insurance
- 401K retirement plan
- RideEco transit benefit (Philadelphia ONLY)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Matt Walker, Advocacy Director, at mwalker(at)cleanair.org. Please cc John Lee (jlee(at)cleanair.org) and use the subject “CAC SWPA Outreach Coordinator Application_[LAST NAME].”