High School Placement and Operations Coordinator 2018-2019
- Job posted by Community Roots Charter School
Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
50 Navy Street
About Community Roots:
Community Roots Charter School is a rigorous learning community where learning is embedded in meaningful real world context, where children are deliberately taught to see the connections between school and the world. CRCS students will meet or exceed the Common Core standards and be prepared to excel in the 21st century by being taught to be independent thinkers and to work productively within a diverse group of learners. At CRCS students will learn to combine curiosity with appropriate application, which will lead to deep understanding and the confidence to take on challenges to become who they want to be.
Currently, Community Roots has 460 students in grades K-8. Our first 8th grade class graduated in June 2015. Please visit our website for more information about our school: www.communityroots.org.
Community Roots is Hiring:
A High School Placement and Operations Coordinator to work at our middle school site. This position is primarily responsible for educating and guiding students and families through New York City high school application processes, including public, independent, and charter, with the goal of each student enrolling in a high school that supports their interests, strengths, and needs. As a member of the Operations team, this role also coordinates and oversees a variety of critical administrative processes within our K-8 school and serves as a point person for middle school students and families.
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree
- Belief in CRCS mission and philosophy
- Desire to support adolescents and their families in achieving their goals for high school placement, and commitment to continuous learning and growth in order to do so
- Highly collaborative; demonstrated ability to work with staff at various levels of an organization, receive and give constructive feedback
- Excellent ability to communicate complex information in an engaging, concise and clear way, both verbally and in writing, to adults and adolescents with a range of backgrounds, experiences, and needs
- Self-starter with a demonstrated ability to seek ways to creatively solve problems and learn independently
- Highly organized and detail-oriented while remaining flexible to shifting needs on a given day
- Comfortable prioritizing and responding to multiple requests and meeting numerous deadlines
- Experience working with adolescents and their families
- Experience working in a school setting preferred
- Familiarity with Google Apps for Education preferred
- 1-2 years work experience preferred
High School Placement Coordinator responsibilities include:
High School Preparation and Placement:
- Nurture and build an attitude of cooperation and positive support with school community regarding high school preparation and admissions
- Educate students and families about NYC high school application processes through high-quality workshops, advisory lessons, individual meetings, and timely written and verbal communications
- Provide individualized guidance to students and families throughout the application and decision-making process, including identifying strong-fit schools
- Research and make contacts at range of independent, charter and public high schools that are of interest to our families
- Support teachers/staff in working with students to prepare portfolios and audition pieces and working on interview skills as necessary
- Take students on day and evening high school tours as needed
- Coordinate alumni events and communicate with alumni and their families regarding their experiences at high school
- Create and manage alumni data tracking system
- Develop alumni internship program
- Write quarterly newsletter for alumni
Operations Coordinator responsibilities include:
Student enrollment and records management:
- Manage all processes related to students leaving or joining the Middle School, including lottery procedure and enrollment
- Maintain accuracy of student biographical and academic records, ensuring student information is up to date across multiple platforms
- Manage student information system (JumpRope) and support staff with using it as needed
- Maintain confidential student records and information
Communication & student/family engagement:
- Engage in ongoing communication with families
- Coordinate bi-weekly newsletter to middle school families with contributions from each course
- Support co-directors in recruiting and hiring highly qualified staff by managing online hiring system (TalentED), oversee posting of job opportunities with hiring boards and universities, and registration and preparation of materials for career fairs
- Support process of on-boarding new staff
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Build relationships with facilities staff including custodians, school foods and security
- Assist in supervising the cafeteria/recess yard during breakfast and lunch
- Assist in supervising morning arrival and afternoon dismissal of students
- Assist in new projects and responsibilities as they emerge throughout the school year
Community Roots Middle School staff serve as Co-Crew Leaders.
Responsibilities of a Crew Leader include:
- Serve as the Advisor to a small group of students, supporting their academic progress and acting as a liaison between the school and their families
- Co-plan and facilitate a Crew, a group of 14 students who meet daily to build community, discuss current events, develop leadership skills, and review academic and personal goals
- Attend professional meetings as needed to support this work
How to apply:
Please visit www.communityroots.org/jobs to apply.
Community Roots offers a competitive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online at www.communityroots.org/jobs.