What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
- Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
- Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
- Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
- Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
- Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 40 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $20 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 37 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to the Bay Area and in 2,400 rural counties across 49 states and Puerto Rico. Visit us at www.lisc.org
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Payroll Director will work strategically with the Vice President, Human Resources and the Human Resources team and directs all aspects of payroll operations. Provide leadership, expertise and direction in utilization, accuracy and effectiveness of payroll operations. Oversees payroll processes and procedures including taxes and finance demands regarding payroll payments. Designs short-term and long-term strategies for continuous improvement in payroll operations.
- Oversees and directs the distribution of payroll checks to employees and the maintenance of appropriate payroll employee records to enable efficient processing of payroll.
- Oversees, coordinates and directs the timely processing and distribution of W-2's and related IRS report filings.
- Responsible for the timely response to employees, auditors, outside agencies and other internal inquires relative to employee payments and payroll items.
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Implement, maintain, and review payroll-processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, taxes, and other deductions.
- Maintain functional payroll systems
- In conjunction with the VP, Human Resources; manage LISC Compensation guidelines and practices.
- Streamline and document compensation procedures
- Audit payroll transactions to ensure all amounts and payment dates are accurate
- Train employees who are involved in payroll on tax regulations and best practices
- Works closely with the Benefits team to ensure benefits changes are entered timely and appropriately.
- Manage payroll discrepancies quickly and efficiently
- Oversee time and attendance reporting.
- Manage UI claims processing and filings.
- Collaborates with HR and Finance to create specialized reports.
- Coordinate internal and external audits
- Answer payroll-related questions from employees
- Stay up-to-date with labor legislation and any changes in employee insurance and tax regulations
- Performs additional job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or Finance from an accredited college or university is required.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred
- Minimum 8 years professional payroll management and processing experience for 500+ employees.
- Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes.
- Experience managing multi-state payroll.
- Detailed work experience with ADP Workforce Now payroll processing systems.
- In-depth knowledge of labor legislation and tax regulations.
- Experience integrating new HRIS software systems (ATS, PMS, Compensation Module) into ADP.
- A high level of discretion and integrity when handling sensitive employee information.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly technical and well versed in HRIS system implantation and management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Self-starter, ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Advanced skills in Excel, data analytics and data reporting is critical.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Interested and informed on emerging technologies and always looking for improvement, automation, and efficiency in processes.
LISC offers a competitive salary and excellent fringe benefits.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION AND JUSTICE