Campagin Lead - Gig Economy/Workers' Voice Project (Oakland or San Jose)
- Job posted by Working Partnerships USA
Details: Based on experience.
Working Partnerships USA is a community organization bringing together the power of grassroots organizing and public policy innovation to drive the movement for a just economy. We build the capacity of workers, low-income neighborhoods and communities of color to lead and govern. Based in Silicon Valley, we tackle the root causes of inequality and poverty by leading collaborative campaigns for quality jobs, healthy communities and equitable growth.
Position Summary: Working Partnerships USA seeks an enthusiastic, hard-working Lead Organizer to lead our new organizing project, organizing and facilitating the organizing of gig and platform workers. This project will reach out broadly to drivers, Taskers and workers providing cleaning and care, helping them fight the algorithms that run their lives, gaining a voice and winning portable benefits as well. The ideal candidate will have experience with labor organizing, preferably in non-traditional worker organizing campaigns, as well as a demonstrated commitment to social justice and equity for low-income, immigrant and communities of color. The ideal applicant will also have some facility with digital organizing as well. The Gig Economy Lead Organizer is responsible for driving strategy, working with the Executive Director in staffing out the coalition, and most of all, creating and implementing models for organizing workers.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
•Outreach to and recruitment of gig and platform workers, by any means necessary
• Implement an in-person that includes following up on leads generated by digital outreach to workers.
• Create an organization of platform workers.
• Work with a coalition of unions and community groups to organize workers
• Create and run campaigns to win portable benefits legislation.
• Help guide new media and social media organizing, including Facebook, Twitter, microsites, blogs and email outreach to enhance the on-the-ground work.
• Organize participation in community meetings, public events and demonstrations, voter education and mobilization initiatives, and other forms of civic engagement and campaign participation.
• Develop organizing materials including talking points, flyers, fact sheets, etc.
• Ability to travel throughout California
• Perform other duties as required to support the work of the organization as a whole.
• Demonstrated experience in worker organizing
• Strong work ethic and personal commitment to excellence
• Willingness to learn, be flexible and ability to work well with others
• Three years of previous campaign, union or community organizing experience
• Experience with and proficiency in using a wide array of digital tools
• Commitment to social, racial, economic, environmental, and gender justice
• Ability to work irregular and extended work hours, including some nights and weekends, as campaigns require
• Valid driver’s license, car insurance and reliable vehicle
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal skills
• Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure
• Respect for people from all walks of life
Excellent full benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, and paid vacations, holidays and sick leave.
Level of Language Proficiency
• Facility with a language other than English (ideally Spanish and/or Vietnamese) strongly preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit resume with cover letter by email to: email@example.com.