Details: Salary DOE
8101 S. Vermont Avenue
To help transform the social and economic conditions in South Los Angeles that foster addiction, crime, violence and poverty by building a community institution capable of involving thousands in creating, influencing and changing public policy.
Community Coalition is a non-profit social justice organization working to address social and economic conditions in South LA by empowering residents to fight for policy solutions that build up the community. Since 1990, Community Coalition has built a groundbreaking, community-driven approach to creating change. We elevate the voices of our members, shift power to the community, and tackle the root causes of poverty, crime and violence. Together we are creating a more prosperous, safer and healthier South LA.
Community Coalition’s projects and victories include stopping the expansion of liquor stores in South LA, supporting gang violence prevention programs, creating foster and family care support programs, hosting art and music festivals and healthcare enrollment fairs. Community Coalition has also registered and mobilized thousands of voters in South LA, participated in the process to create a federal Promise Zone for South Los Angeles and creates leadership opportunities for young people with the South Central Youth Empowered through Action program and Freedom School, among other projects.
Community Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, religions, and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Under the direct supervision of the Director of Organizing, Community Coalition’s Prevention Network is an alliance of social service providers in South Los Angeles. The project works to ensure that South Los Angeles service providers have a voice in decision-making processes that impact the delivery of human needs in South Los Angeles. Community Coalition is seeking a seasoned leader with experience in policy advocacy, community organizing and the social service sector. Key goals for this project include building a base of social service providers to inform and execute a policy campaign that prioritizes the rebuilding of the social safety net. Additionally, the Prevention Network Coordinator will work with Community Organizers to address build-environment issues that impact the quality of life of South Los Angeles families and children. This position is accountable for managing the project area by tracking key grant deliverables.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned):
- Recruit and enhance the capacity of social service providers in South Los Angeles.
- Recruit and build a broad base of social service providers within the Service Planning Area 6 of Los Angeles County.
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with other stakeholders to include; local elected officials, courts and public health agencies.
- Identify funding opportunities to strengthen capacity of social service providers.
- Plan and execute capacity building and political advocacy training.
- Contribute to organizational initiative to build a mass base institution by enlisting social service provider agencies as a dues paying member of the organization.
- Conduct on-going research of issue priorities to inform campaign and organizing strategies.
- Conduct ongoing research on organizational issue priorities and develop analysis of local, state and national landscape.
- Conduct regular assessments with social service providers to inform policy and campaign developments.
- Engage social service providers to identify key issues impacting South Los Angeles’ most vulnerable populations.
- Inform, execute and evaluate campaign and organizing strategies to strengthen the social safety net in South Los Angeles.
- Monitor, track and report on progress and execution of key grant deliverables.
- Track and develop periodic reports of key grant deliverables.
- Maintain proper records of event summary reports, developments of department goals and objectives, base and individual social service provider assessments.
- Engage the Prevention Network client-base in community and organizing activities.
- Develop a plan to engage client-base in key organizing activities.
- Develop logistics and mobilization plans to execute events and activities.
- Coordinate resource fairs during organizational mass base events.
- Prepare outreach materials, such as fliers, scripts, cards and posters.
- Must have 2 years of experience working as an Organizer and/or in the public health sector.
- Familiarity and understanding of the problems facing residents in South Los Angeles.
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Community Coalition.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work with diverse South Los Angeles population.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel with a solid understanding of Windows.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends to be accessible to community members.
- Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team.
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet frequent deadlines.-
- Ability to prioritize and set goals by developing weekly, monthly and quarterly work plans.
Employer sponsored Benefits and 401k
Minimum Education Required