746 North LaSalle Drive
Work and Travel Program Director
- Type of Position: Full Time
- Start Date: ASAP
- Hours: 40+ hours per week, Monday-Friday
- Location: 746 N LaSalle Drive, Chicago, IL 60654
Greenheart International is a non-profit committed to connecting people and planet to create a more peaceful and sustainable global community. We achieve this through a unique and diverse collection of programs fostering cultural exchange, eco-fair trade, volunteerism, personal development and environmentalism. Greenheart International encompasses four main branches: Greenheart Exchange, Greenheart Travel, Greenheart Shop, and Greenheart Transforms.
Within Greenheart Exchange, the Work and Travel (WT) Department has J-1 designation by the U.S. Department of State to bring international university students to the United States on a cultural exchange program, called J-1 Summer Work Travel. Greenheart Exchange’s WT program is dedicated to extending the mission of cultural understanding, environmental consciousness and world peace by connecting enthusiastic international students and American host organizations. As the only non-profit green J-1 visa sponsor, we pride ourselves on providing a quality experience, while encouraging and enabling Greenheart Exchange staff, participants and host organizations to work together on projects that promote environmentalism and sustainability.
Some things you might do as our Program Director:
- Create an annual Business Plan and lead the team through strategy planning sessions
- Ensure that benchmarking, operational excellence, and key results goals are met
- Supervise a team of directors, which oversee various divisions within the department, and have a full understanding of their daily duties to be able to cover them if needed
- Supervise an Office Coordinator and oversee various departmental initiatives to ensure high efficiency and smooth daily operations
- Oversee hiring and staffing for the WT department
- Create and oversee the annual departmental budget
- Oversee the technological needs for the department
- Lead weekly meetings and ensure that information is properly disseminated
- Increase efficiency by reviewing internal processes
- Collaborate with other department heads within Greenheart International to streamline workflows and processes
- Serve as the Alternate Responsible Officer in SEVIS for the program designation
- Communicate with various Department of State representatives and solve issues
- Represent the department within Greenheart International and in the industry
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university. Degree in International Relations or Business Administration preferred. Post-graduate degree preferred.
- Experience in cultural exchange required. Experience with J-1 program(s) preferred.
- Work/travel/living/study abroad experience required
- 5+ years work experience in managerial and leadership capacity, preferably managing a diverse group of staff, including remote staff. Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Proven track record of meeting goals
- Build and manage relationship with various stakeholders, including government entities and overseas partners. Networking abilities.
- Create and manage budget
- Create proposals and business plan, including leading a department in strategic planning efforts
- Positive, flexible personality with a willingness to learn
- Diligent, proactive, problem solver, creative self starter, and critical thinker
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including business formal language, high-level public speaking skills, and giving presentations to large groups
- Ability to manage multiple and changing priorities, as well as to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment (40+ hours/week)
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Skype, WhatsApp software
- Genuine desire to contribute to an organization that promotes cultural exchange and environmental consciousness
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
Sound likes the perfect fit? Tell us WHY by sending your resume and customized cover letter in PDF format to Courtney Guengerich, Human Resources Generalist, at HR(AT)greenheart(DOT)org. A cover letter is required for your application to be considered.
Due to the amount of applications processed, we ask that you do not call Greenheart International regarding this position. All qualified applicants will be contacted.
Greenheart International is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran.