Details: This is a part-time position with opportunity to advance to full-time work.
Americans for Democratic Action: Americans for Democratic Action (ADA) is the nation’s most experienced liberal, independent advocacy organization whose lobbying philosophy is based on democratic action. ADA motivates grassroots activists to lobby their elected representatives as constituent-advocates. ADA has volunteer activists across the country fighting for issues like good jobs and wages, affordable healthcare and education, fair tax and trade policies, social justice and political change.
ADA was founded by Eleanor Roosevelt, John Kenneth Galbraith, Hubert Humphrey and others, built on the New Deal values of economic equality for working people, and to oppose discrimination and lack of opportunity. ADA is based in Washington D.C. and has local chapters in states across the country including Illinois, Hawaii, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Iowa, California, Delaware, Massachusetts, and others.
Community Organizer: ADA is looking for energetic self-starters to run local legislative, political, and community-based campaigns. Candidates should have previous organizing experience in issue or candidate campaigns and a desire to help promote a progressive agenda. Local ties a plus. This is a unique opportunity to play an integral role in a dynamic project at a unique time in American history. The position reports directly to the ADA National Field Director.
- Implement ADA field and outreach strategies in target communities, including grassroots lobbying actions, voter education campaigns, candidate “bird-dogging,” voter ID, and GOTV.
- Build coalitions among local allies to grow a broad community support for the progressive agenda.
- Build, engage, and mobilize a network of current and new activists to advance ADA’s advocacy campaigns through local organizing efforts.
- Generate local media coverage on behalf of ADA.
- Coordinate local and regional activist skills trainings.
- Help develop and execute direct actions in target areas.
- Track and report campaign deliverables.
- 1-2 years organizing experience in electoral, issue, and/or legislative campaigns.
- Experience engaging and motivating large numbers of volunteers.
- Experience working collaboratively with other organizations.
- Enjoy working under pressure and can think quickly on your feet.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a geographically dispersed team.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the assigned project region.
This is a part-time position with opportunity for full-time work. Position available immediately. ADA is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume, and references to Rebecca Griffin firstname.lastname@example.org.