Position: Best Friends NY Pet Adoption Center Manager
Location: New York, NY
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Senior Manager of Operations- Northeast
Position Summary: The Best Friends NY Pet Adoption Center Manager is responsible for the daily operations of the BFNY Pet Adoption Center in New York, NY and ensures the appropriate standards of care and client service are adhered to so there is a safe, professional, and friendly environment for animals, staff, partner groups, and volunteers ensuring all focusing on the attainment of life saving goals.
- Assist the Northeast Regional Director, Senior Manager of Operations, and Regional Engagement Manager with defining the life saving goals for the BFNY center as well as the defining and executing the strategies to achieve said goals.
- Ensure BFNY center staff and partner groups are working closely together and productively with one another to achieve desired outcomes for the BFNY center.
- Plan, implement, facilitate, monitor, and evaluate all BFNY center issues including but not limited to: memorandum of understandings (MOU) between BFAS and partner groups, intake, feeding, data entry, medication, parasite control, health related issues and sanitation, animal outcome, medical and behavior rehabilitation and needs, volunteer orientation and on site management, daily enrichment including in-kennel training and play groups, foster care, population flow, and spay/neuter.
- Coordinate and monitor daily intake between staff, partner groups, and volunteers to ensure safe and strategic decisions are made regarding new arrivals and ensuring new animals are moved through the intake and shelter process in a consistent and timely manner so they are quickly made available for adoption. This also includes ensuring empty cages are being filled promptly as outlined in MOU and animals are being selected from the NY Animal Care Centers in New York City and/or other regional areas in need for lifesaving on a daily basis as well as partner groups ensuring kennels provided to them are occupied with adoptable animals.
- Ensure that all center staff, partner groups, and volunteers are trained and performing in conjunction with all agreements, memorandums of understanding, policies and procedures of Best Friends Animal Society by creating, updating and implementing standard operating procedures for all BFNY center areas.
- Ensure that all center staff, partner groups, and volunteers deliver quality client service including disseminating appropriate information as well as perform duties in a manner which encourages attainment of goals and contributions and business for Best Friends Animal Society and its programs.
- Ensure any client, partner group, staff, or volunteer dissatisfaction is handled promptly and appropriately.
- Perform scheduling and payroll for all BFNY center areas and ensure that all time and attendance is correct and completed by deadline time and dates as well as ensuring schedules are posted two weeks in advance for all areas.
- Partner with the HR representative to interview, hire, train, perform consistent and timely corrective action and terminate employees consistent with the organization's mission, contracts, philosophy, and law.
- Work within budgets and meet revenue goals as directed by executive team, plan and coordinate staffing, equipment, and facility needs.
- Coordinate payment of all invoices and bills related to the BFNY Pet Adoption Center, and provide pertinent information to the Best Friends Animal Society Development Department for grants as necessary.
- Establish a preventative maintenance program to ensure the timely repair and/or replacement of center equipment; oversee the maintenance and ordering of an appropriate inventory of food and other center supplies.
- Oversee daily inventory of animals, ensure a consistent cash and deposit flow, and provide monthly statistical reports for Senior Manager of Operations and Regional Director.
- Work with marketing staff, Regional Engagement Manager and Event Coordinator to organize special adoption promotions including but not limited to monthly adoption promotions and sponsored fees for pets.
- Coordinate participation in Best Friends Events such as BFNY Super Adoption Weekend and mobile adoption events as assigned.
- Participate in weekly NY Program Team meetings at the midtown office in New York City.
- Other duties as assigned by the Northeast Regional Director and/or Senior Manager of Operations.
- Solid management and leadership experience.
- Background in the humane movement: 3 + years of experience working for a humane organization preferred.
- Proven ability to promote a positive work environment.
- Experience with overseeing an adoption program.
- Experience with leading teams.
- Experience with growing programs.
- Experience with training and cultivating volunteers.
- Experience with reviewing statistical information to inform program direction.
- Engaging and friendly interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with the public and various forms of media outlets on behalf of the organization.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends Animal Society positions on issues.
- Dog training experience a plus.
- Strong knowledge of breed identification.
- Proficiency with a variety of computer tools such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, database, internet research, etc. Experience with Shelterluv shelter software preferred.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation for travel on organization business.
Physical and Job Requirements:
- Must be able to routinely lift 40-50 pounds.
- Must be physically able to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Effectively handle dogs and cats.
- Lifting and handling animals of varying sizes and breeds, bending, stooping, and walking on a daily basis.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time to include repetitive typing, arm, and hand motion.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: weekend work is required and also includes night, holiday, and on-call work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Best Friends offers a comprehensive benefit package. Medical, Dental, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Vision, Child Care, Cafeteria Plan, Life Insurance, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, etc.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.