Tides envisions a world of shared prosperity and social change founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve society’s toughest problems. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Accounting Manager - General Ledger, under the direction of the Director of Finance, is responsible for managing the General Ledger and monthly reporting for all entities under Tides umbrella.
The Accounting Manager - General ledger is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary hours in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Leads, develops and supports direct reports including hiring department staff and/or consultants and oversees all aspects of supervision and management.
· Manage all aspects of the general ledger including monthly reporting for all Tides entities in close collaboration and partnership with the Director of Finance.
· Holds direct reports accountable to achieve team goals and work plans by ensuring team members have the appropriate skills and support to accomplish their objectives.
· Works to ensure that Tides staff recognizes the team as an actively contributing partner in achieving the strategic goals and objectives of Tides.
· Ensures transactions are analyzed to arrive at correct account balances, and journal entries are well documented, timely and accurate.
· Reviews and approves journal entries prepared by general ledger accountants
· Ensures that the daily financial and accounting functions are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and all applicable regulatory requirements including those set forth by the Federal Accounting Standards Board, and legal rules and regulations for nonprofit operations designated as IRS 501(C)(3) and 501(C)(4) organizations
· Responsible for month-end and year-end closing.
· Prepares schedules for annual and other external audits and tax returns.
· Participates in cross departmental and cross organizational teams, projects and planning activities as needed.
· Maintains financial report integrity in the NetSuite Financial system and keeps transaction templates and forms up-to-date with evolving processes and fiscal year roll-overs.
· Participates in the implementation and upgrades of financial systems that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
· Generates and distributes various financial reports.
· Other duties, or projects, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Knowledge of GAAP/FASB standards, experiential knowledge of FAR, CFR,relevant OMB circulars and procedures utilized in a non-profit environment.
· Proven track record of maintaining effective internal controls and developing efficient financial policies and procedures
· Strong problem solving, analytical, time management, organization and customer service skills with the ability to see the big picture while understanding the details involved and the ramifications of the decisions made.
· Ability to hold self and others accountable for accurate, high-quality, timely, and effective results
· Demonstrates commitment to cooperate and work collaboratively to meet the needs of internal and external clients; ability to strive for high level of satisfaction
· Demonstrates ability to handle confidential information with excellent judgment while maintaining a high-level and consistent work ethic in all working relationships and related duties
· Proficiency with MS Office suite of products, Netsuite, Salesforce or Microsoft Dynamics
· The position requires the ability to work independently within a fast-paced, task-directed, deadline-oriented environment
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
Education & Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Accounting or related field or equivalent is required. CPA, CMA, MBA or MPA with emphasis in accounting is preferred.
· 5+ years of increasingly responsible experience in financial and accounting oversight.
· 2+ years of supervisory and accounting function management experience.
· Non-profit accounting and government grant management experience strongly preferred.
· 3+ years of experience in a similar position
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Tides envisions a world of shared prosperity and social change founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. Tides…