Executive Director - BackPack Weekend Food Program
- Job posted by Weekend BackPack Food Program, Inc.
The BackPack Weekend Food Program, Inc. provides hungry children in Gaston County Schools with a plastic bag of nonperishable, individually-portioned, nutritionally-balanced food to take home in their backpacks on the weekend when school meals are not available. Those students most likely to be hungry on the weekend are identified by school counselors, social workers, teachers, school nurses, and principals.
The program is now in the 7th year of operation. In the 2016-2017 academic year, the program provided over 224,000 meals to over 950 students. Operating funds come from partner churches, partner organizations, donations, grants, and fundraisers. The program relies upon volunteers to work in the warehouse by sorting and distributing the food and partnering with many churches and organizations who pack and deliver the food weekly to their partner school.
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, fundraising and strategic plan of the BackPack Weekend Food Program (BWFP). Other key duties include marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for leading the BWFP program in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors (“Board”).
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Fiscal Responsibility: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Working closely with the BWFP Treasurer, maintain fiscal integrity to include submission to the Board a proposed annual budget.
- Responsible for fiscal management that anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintains a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support the mission.
- Research and apply for appropriate grants and other funding opportunities.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementing programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that the program can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for managing warehouse operations.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the selection, retention and supervision of competent, qualified staff and volunteers.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Responsible for meeting all regulatory requirements and grant requirements.
5) Community Relations. Maintain positive relationships with the school system, and other members of the Gaston County community.
- Continually develop community support to increase donations and volunteerism.
- Foster and maintain healthy relationships with major donors and sponsors.
- Coordinate and support all special events.
- Be active and visible in the community and work closely with other professional, civic and community volunteers.
Qualifications: Minimum requirements are a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university and 3 years of experience in non-profit management with 1 year of experience in fundraising/donor development. CFRE Certification preferred.
The BackPack Weekend Food Program, Inc is an equal opportunity employer.
No benefits are available
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume with a cover letter that outlines your non-profit experience (minimum of 3 years) and fundraising/donor development experience (minimum of 1 year).