Union Settlement is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Summer Group Leader (Seasonal)
Department: Youth Services
Reports to: Program Director
Hours: Full-Time (35-40 hours per week)
Rate: $15 – $16.50 per hour
The Summer Group Leader will be responsible for Curriculum Development, Activity Facilitation and Classroom Management.
· Prepare classroom and program spaces for activities.
· Plan and implement weekly lesson plans related to social, educational, and recreational activities.
· Lead workshops for the program in at least one of the following disciplines: sports, technology, leadership, performing arts, prevention, visual arts.
· Assist in workshops and activities to support activity specialists, tutors, and program partners to address behavior and classroom management.
· Ensure common core learning standards are integrated into all lesson plans.
· Lead theme teams activities and prepare participants for quarterly presentation, showcases, and performances.
· Escort participants out of school and off premises to ensure safety during dismissal. Engage participants and support school staff during school day as assigned.
· Support hall monitoring as needed.
· Produce mandated program reports, including attendance. Plan, attend, and escort participants on trips.
· Engage parents as needed to provide updates, progress, issues, and concerns.
· Assist in classroom, including classroom management and behavior modification. Participate in special events and staff meetings.
· Additional duties as assigned by the Site Supervisor, Middle School Program Director, Assistant Director of Youth Services, Associate Director of After-School Programming and Director of Youth Services.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field; at minimum, three years’ experience working in a youth services program.
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
· Strong verbal, written, clerical, organizational, and problem solving skills.
· Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
· Demonstrated success facilitating workshops in one of the following disciplines: sports, technology, leadership, performing arts, prevention, visual arts.
· The ability to perform at a high level.
· Dedication to serving youth in an urban setting. Innovation and patience.
· Demonstrated understanding of the challenges facing youth in an urban setting.
Please include cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references.
UNION SETTLEMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Union Settlement is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and…