Established in 1869, The New York Foundling has evolved from a home for abandoned babies, to a comprehensive and integrated network of support services designed to empower disadvantaged children and families. For more information please visit www.nyfoundling.org.
The Family Support Worker is responsible for conducting weekly home visits to prenatal and new parents on Staten Island.
- Provide regular home visits.
- Initiating and maintaining regular contact with families, primarily in the homes
- Establishing a trusting relationship with families
- Providing prenatal and other health education
- Assisting to strengthen parent-child relationships
- Assisting parents to improve their skills to optimize the home environment for the child’s well-being and safety
- Assisting in making and attending health and human service appointments, including activities related to employment and educational goals.
- Responsible for weekly paperwork, including descriptive narrative of each home visit and data forms.
- Responsible for maintaining up to date case record for each family.
- Attendance required at initial and ongoing trainings within NYS.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other Requirements :
- Bilingual in Spanish required .
- Valid NYS Driver’s License
- Comfortable driving the Agency vehicle with/without participants
- Strong writing skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience working with, or assisting, at-risk children and families in a community setting
- Knowledge of infant and child development
- Strong Listening Skills
- Ability to identify family strengths and foster self-sufficiency and independence in families
- Respect for and sensitivity to the needs and rights of others, including those with differing cultural, racial, sexual or ethnic identities
We invite you to join our dedicated & diverse workforce by applying on our website at www.nyfoundling.org/about/jobs/. The position is listed as Family Support Worker requisition # 17-0581
Minimum Education Required