The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights invites applications for an Executive Assistant to be based in Chicago.This position will provide administrative support to the Executive Director.
The Young Center for Immigrant Children's Rights, a national organization, is at the forefront of best interests advocacy for unaccompanied and separated children. We are headquartered in Chicago, with offices in New York; Washington, D.C.; New York; Phoenix; Los Angeles; and Houston, San Antonio, and Harlingen, Texas.
The Young Center advocates for the best interests—safety and well-being—of immigrant children who arrive in the U.S. alone or whom the government has separated from their parents. The Young Center is appointed by the federal government to serve as Child Advocate (best interests guardian ad litem) for children in deportation proceedings, advocating for their safety whether they remain in the U.S. or return to their home countries. The Young Center also conducts policy advocacy at the federal level, advocating for reform of the immigrant justice system, in which children are treated as adults, into a justice system that recognizes children as children, with rights and protection needs all their own. The Young Center team is a passionate and collegial group of professionals—attorneys, social workers, and administrative staff—committed to ensuring that children receive the full protection of federal immigration law, domestic child welfare law, and international human rights law.
The Executive Assistant position is a unique opportunity for an organized, highly competent, and energetic person who wants to support the Young Center’s mission and work. This position will work closely with the Executive Director and will also interact with the Development and Operations teams.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES. The Executive Assistant’s primary responsibilities will be:
- Administrative and clerical support for the Executive Director, including digital filing (the Young Center is paper-free), calendar management, supply orders, printing, and mailing
- Making travel arrangements
- Managing email inbox, including identifying priority correspondence
- Opening, sorting, and distributing incoming correspondence
- Coordinating meetings, including drafting and circulating agendas and documents, space arrangements, and any AV requirements
- Providing support for Board of Directors and Houston Advisory Board, including scheduling and any logistical arrangements for meetings, retreats, and other events
- Researching and preparing information in memo format or for oral presentation
- Gathering and compiling information from other Young Center staff and stakeholders
- Expense reporting (reimbursements, credit card reconciliations)
- Calendar management support, including scheduling meetings and preparing daily summaries of priority tasks
- Providing or coordinating tech support
- Proofreading correspondence, proposals, reports, and other written work
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- B.A. or 2 to 4 years of experience in administrative support positions
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Discretion and ability to manage confidential information
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Professionalism and punctuality
- Good command of office management systems and fluency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and balance multiple time-sensitive tasks
- Passion and optimism for the issues affecting immigrant children and their families
Young Center provides an excellent benefits package, including medical coverage at no cost to the employee, sick and vacation time, and a 401(k).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The Young Center is an "at-will" and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise us in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. Please email a cover letter, resume and three references to jobs@TheYoungCenter.org and include the title “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. To learn more about the Young Center’s work, please visit www.TheYoungCenter.org.