1127 - 11th Street
Health Access seeks an experienced Director of Operations & Development to join our senior management team. This full-time position is responsible for organizational planning, development, human resources, finances, and operations, for the organization. The position is based in our Sacramento office and is directly supervised by the Executive Director. Some travel is required for Board meetings and between our various offices.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Human Resource management: employee recruitment, new employee orientation and documentation, staff meetings, staff retreats & staff development, tracking vacation and sick leave usage, etc.
- Oversee and supervise financial management of the organization, including oversight of finance manager, audits, payroll, expense reimbursements and budgets.
- Create & Manage Risk Management program and protocols.
- Manage employee benefits, including new employee enrollment and yearly health open enrollment processes and reporting.
- Manage major donor and membership development (database, tracking, solicitations, acknowledgements);
- Negotiates and manages vendor and subcontractor contracts, property and equipment leases, maintenance contracts, etc.
- Responsible for grant and contract management, including some grant editing, tracking and production coordination of timely grant reports and contract invoices.
- Manage compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations including, but not limited to, Workers’ Compensation, IRS tax filing and State Unemployment reporting.
- Oversee IT needs, work with our IT vendor in resolving issues, documentation of and issuing equipment, workstation set-up as needed.
- Oversee office space needs.
- 2 – Supervise the Finance Manager and the Administrative & Legislative Assistant
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Strong self-direction and ability to take initiative;
- Bachelor degree and equivalent relevant work experience;
- General familiarity with health policy issues, California state politics, and nonprofit advocacy required;
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience or similar nonprofit management position required;
- An independent thinker, self-motivated, problem solver, and team player, with a commitment to excellence;
- Have strong organizational skills, and ability to stay focused with attention to detail;
- Ability to work closely with the Executive Director and Finance Manager, as well as independently managing diverse and ever-changing administrative projects.
- Should have experience working with senior-level professionals, boards of directors and foundation representatives.
- General familiarity with health care issues and California state politics.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required
- Experienced in fundraising for non-profits
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and relational skills;
- Experience supervising and training strongly preferred;
- Must be able to meet deadlines, be responsive, stay organized, attention to detail, and demonstrate excellent communication skills;
- Read, comprehend and write general instructions, professional correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to collaborate and participate in complex decision making processes.
- Effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations.
- Analytical approach to problem-solving.
- Bi-lingual a plus but not required.
- Support the organization’s goal of quality, affordable health care for all Californians.
- Ability to meet multiple, shifting deadlines and priorities with nimbleness and flexibility
- QuickBooks and database management skills preferred.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud, as multiple telephone conversations and normal office equipment continue throughout the day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is a full-time position that may require work outside of the typical 9-5 workday (i.e. weekend and evening events).
About Health Access:
A nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving quality, affordable health care for all Californians, Health Access is the statewide health care consumer advocacy coalition of organizations representing seniors, children, people with disabilities, immigrants, communities of color, health care professionals, people of faith, labor, and working families. For over 25 years, Health Access has been a leader in the state’s health care reform movement, most recently as the lead coalition working to pass, and then implement, the Affordable Care Act in California. Health Access was the leading sponsor of the California HMO Patient Bill of Rights, the Hospital Fair Pricing Act, and worked to expand and preserve Medi-Cal and Healthy Families health coverage.
Health Access offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits including health, life, and disability insurance, 401k savings plan, and a fast-paced but casual work environment.
Promoting diversity is integral to the mission of Health Access. Health Access seeks applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, or physical or mental disability. Health Access embraces equality of opportunity and treatment for all employees in all employment matters.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send all three: cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Reference Director of Operations & Development position in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1127 11th Street, Suite 925, Sacramento, CA 95814.