Details: Salary is commensurate with experience within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
150 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 600
The American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois seeks applicants for a full-time Finance Associate. This position is strongly focused on accounting and financial operations and supporting the Director of Finance, and may involve other office and administrative support duties.
This is a challenging, fast-moving position with room for personal development and growth. Our ideal candidate is trustworthy and has high integrity; demonstrates a very high degree of accuracy and attention to detail; enjoys working with numbers and has a keen eye for spotting errors or inconsistencies; is a problem-solver and unafraid to raise and resolve a dispute with a vendor over poor service or an incorrect invoice; and is excited to join our team of motivated, hard-working civil libertarians during one of the most vital, energizing, challenging periods in the nearly 100-year history of the ACLU.
- Provide key administrative and finance-related support to the Director of Finance.
- Manage accounts payable, ensuring that vendors are paid promptly.
- Record all financial transactions, including gathering or preparing source and support documentation.
- Perform routine daily, weekly, and monthly accounting functions utilizing Financial Edge accounting software.
- Assist the Finance Director in preparing budgets, monthly financial statements and reporting, annual audited financial statements and tax returns, and other projects for a $7M operation.
- Track budget expenditures, construct queries, and perform analysis as requested.
- Support the board finance committee by arranging and facilitating meetings, taking and preparing minutes, keeping records, and other tasks as needed.
- Manage maintenance and contracts for office equipment and appliances.
- Provide general administrative support and other responsibilities as assigned.
- High degree of integrity, accuracy, attention to detail, reliability, and good recall.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, with excellent general computer skills.
- Strong organizational skills—the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to follow directions, exercise sound independent judgment, work independently and on a team, work efficiently, meet deadlines, and maintain confidentiality.
- Strong commitment to civil liberties and civil rights.
- Personal enthusiasm, optimism, and humor.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, especially in Accounting, or equivalent work experience.
- Two or more years of bookkeeping experience and/or managing accounts payable, preferably in a non-profit organization; experience with not-for-profit, fund accounting; working knowledge or familiarity with Financial Edge and Salesforce.
Benefits include four weeks paid vacation after first year; 100% employer-paid medical, vision and dental insurance; 403(b) plan with match; life insurance; and short and long-term disability insurance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter describing: 1) your interest in this position, and 2) the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above.
Please send these materials via email to email@example.com. Please use the subject line: Finance Associate. No calls please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.