The team at YES Drop-In Center has a vision that all of Baltimore’s youth will easily access supportive services and stable housing to become powerful in their own lives. YES is seeking a Director of Strategic Advancement to help bring this vision to life. If you are a fundraising/advancement professional with a dedication to serving the youth of Baltimore, keep reading to learn more about this opportunity to make an impact and help end youth homelessness in the city.
YES grew out of the work of the Baltimore Homeless Youth Initiative (BHYI) Youth Leaders, a group of youth with personal experiences of homelessness that formed as an arm of the BHYI Coalition to help set its direction during 2009-10. Among other priorities, they identified the need for and worked to create a comprehensive, one-stop-shop drop-in center for youth, located in a central location, and staffed by formerly homeless young adults with whom the youth could relate. The vision of the BHYI leaders was realized when YES opened its doors in October 2012.
The Director of Strategic Advancement will serve as a member of YES's leadership team, and will work provide an unique giving experience with the organization’s supporters, to support the financial wellbeing of YES, and to provide a roadmap for long-term sustainability. The Director of Strategic Advancement will have responsibility for all channels of fundraising, including annual fund, major gifts, planned giving, corporate and foundation relations and events. They will be responsible for donor stewardship and development operations. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and communicates regularly with the Board of Directors.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to ensure that YES has a strong and coordinated strategic advancement strategy and donor relations culture to help advance the organization.
- Develop, lead and manage effective strategies for obtaining funds and grants that advance the organizational mission and priorities.
- Design and manage annual appeals.
- Devise and execute a successful Capital Campaign, along with Executive Director, Board, consultants, and Capital Campaign Committee.
- Identify and solicit business partners to generate support for events.
- Create and sustain a culture of philanthropy.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director (and sometimes staff/ Board/constituents) to identify, research, cultivate and steward individual and institutional prospects and donors.
- Develop strong relationships with potential and current donors and funders.
- Lead YES’s development and implementation of a fundraising plan.
- Manage YES’s grant research, writing (government and foundation) and reporting activities.
- Recruit, cultivate, and steward individual donors and group sponsors.
- Engage with donors, sponsors, and partners by attending events and meetings, and participating in donor visits, calls, and follow up correspondence.
- Work with the YES’s Director to develop the yearly budget.
- Coach and mentor staff, board and constituents on donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Develop calendars, plans and materials for fundraising events.
- Plan and execute small donor cultivation events.
- Develop and maintain fundraising kit for events.
- Coordinate and staff all fundraising events, and provide logistics briefings prior to events,
- Prepare staff, constituents and board as needed prior to events.
- Establish data metrics along with the YES team, and ensure data collected aligns with reporting requirements.
- Develop plan and timeline for analyzing fundraising data.
- Collect and record relevant donor and volunteer information to increase engagement.
- Monitor donor gifts related to annual fund, campaigns, events, and other initiatives.
Communications and PR:
- Develop and execute PR strategies that educate and cultivate community support of YES.
- Update the organizational website, online publications, and social media.
- Write copy and create content for development related goals including blog posts, social media posts, event programs, emails communications and press releases.
- Create roadmap and content for Annual Report.
- Provide support to staff for speaking engagements.
- Provide support to YES in terms of legislative agenda and strategy.
- Liaise with media, pitch stories and opportunities.
- Develop and/or proof marketing materials for the organization’s supporters.
- Provides logistical support related to volunteer management and volunteer opportunities.
- Assess the need for volunteer services to meet the needs through recruitment and scheduling of volunteers.
- Identify, cultivate, recruit and organize fundraising leaders and volunteers.
- Establish recognition and acknowledgement for volunteers.
- Manage volunteers who assist in resource development and events.
- A bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of relevant fundraising and resource development strategy/planning experience.
- Proven track record of raising and reporting on funds through grant writing, event planning, and other means.
- Experience working with youth and commitment to redistributing power to youth and young adults.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- Careful attention to detail and deadlines.
- Basic design skills for laying out annual reports and other communications.
- Expertise in CRMs, such as Raiser's Edge, eTapestry, Donor Perfect, Salesforce, CiviCRM, or a similar system required.
- Knowledge and experience with ConstantContact or equivalent email management system preferred.
- Experience using social media as a fundraising tool required.
- Desire to support constituents in a fast-paced environment.
At YES Drop-In Center, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, ancestry, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
YES Drop-In Center believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We invite you to apply today!