171 Avenue B
Good Old Lower East Side (GOLES) is a community based organization dedicated to keeping people in their homes and community since 1977. GOLES serves the residents of the Lower East Side through community organizing, direct services, coalition building, community education, and participatory research.
GOLES seeks an energetic and compassionate individual to join our team as part-time Senior Services & Housing Counselor to provide direct services to GOLES clients and members ages 50 and over. The part-time Senior Services & Housing Counselor will also lead a series of biweekly health and wellbeing workshops for the members of GOLES’ Healthy Aging Program (GHAP) as well as occasional special events and activities for GHAP members.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Counseling local seniors on housing and benefits issues, such as, for example:
- Completing Medicaid, Medicare, and SNAP applications and recertification
- Completing Medicare Savings Program applications and recertifications
- Renewing rent-regulated leases
- Completing yearly NYCHA and section 8 income recertifications
- Applying to affordable housing lotteries
- Resolving various NYCHA, HDFC, Section 8, and rent-regulated housing issues
- Completing SCRIE/DRIE applications and renewals
- Providing miscellaneous assistance to seniors on a case by case basis, as capacity allows
2. Developing, facilitating and/or coordinating biweekly GHAP workshops on educational, recreational, and health related topics. This includes: preparing and conducting workshops on various topics; identifying guest speakers and coordinating their participation; preparing and translating handouts and other materials; purchasing refreshments, etc. In consultation with GHAP members, the Senior Services & Housing Counselor will aim to organize special event, activities and outings for program participants.
3. Participating in organizational events and activities, including occasionally on nights and weekends, such as: GOLES’ “Summerfest” and Annual Celebration; representing GOLES at community events; attending staff retreats, etc.
Strong candidates will:
- Be committed to social, racial, and economic justice
- Be bilingual in English and Spanish, or have an advanced Spanish-language proficiency
- Have at least three years of housing and/or benefits counseling experience
- Possess outstanding customer service and client management skills
- Be able to handle challenging situations in a professional, courteous, and friendly manner
Level of Language Proficiency
Advanced Spanish competency required, fluency strongly preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and a cover letter detailing your qualifications and interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the high volume of applicants, GOLES will respond only to applicants who are selected for further consideration. Please do not call or email to inquire about your application. GOLES is an Equal Opportunity Employer.