601 Civic Center Drive West
The Public Law Center (PLC), Orange County's pro bono law firm, is committed to providing access to justice for low-income residents. Through volunteers and staff, PLC provides free civil legal services, including counseling, individual representation, community education, and strategic litigation and advocacy to challenge societal injustices.
Duties and Responsibilities
PLC is hosting a one-year Fellowship as part of the Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps Veterans Legal Corps Program. The Fellow will provide quality legal services to low-income Orange County Veterans in collaboration with an established team of attorneys. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Providing wrap-around legal services to veterans. Prevent homelessness by defending against evictions; help veterans secure or increase government benefits by advocating for VA disability, SSDI/SSI, and discharge upgrades.
· Coordinating, staff, and supervise legal clinics on veteran-related legal issues.
· Overseeing case referrals and provide support to pro bono attorneys.
· Conducting community education presentations to clients and community partners that also serve veterans.
· Representing PLC at legal networking and community outreach events.
· Occasional evening and weekend work required.
· Admission to California Bar or awaiting Bar exam results
· Excellent writing and public speaking skills required
· Experience with civil litigation or administrative proceedings, particularly VA benefits, a strong plus
· Commitment to working with Veterans, or military service, related military background, or military familiarity a plus.
· Work effectively as part of a team, including with volunteers
· Must have own transportation, valid CA Driver’s license, and good driving record
· Applicant must qualify for service under the AmeriCorps program, including mandated criminal background checks
· Applicant must be able to begin the one-year fellowship prior to October 1, 2018 and attend Equal Justice Works’ Annual Leadership Development Training in Washington, D.C. from November 6-8, 2018.
Salary & Benefits
· Annual living allowance, as well as financial support for housing, student loan repayment, and other permissible reimbursable living expenses. Amounts to be paid upon request.
· Benefits: Education award; Health, dental, vision and life insurance; State and local bar dues paid.
· Interested applicants should contact PLC with any follow up questions
Please submit Resume, Cover Letter and Writing Sample (10 pages or less) to: email@example.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
Public Law Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, gender, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, registered domestic partner status, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other condition prohibited by federal, state or local law.
- Annual living allowance, as well as financial support for housing, student loan repayment, and other permissible reimbursable living expenses. Amounts to be paid upon request.
- Benefits: Education award; Health, dental, vision and life insurance; State and local bar dues paid.
Interested applicants should contact PLC with any follow up questions
Minimum Education Required