333 Hegenberger Road
The Super Stars Literacy, Inc. (SSL) Program Manager’s primary responsibility is to ensure the successful implementation of Super Stars Literacy’s early literacy and social emotional development program in Title I elementary schools in Oakland by leading and developing a team of 8 - 10 AmeriCorps Group Leaders. The Program Manager plays a critical role in coaching the Group Leaders and ensuring development of skills necessary to operate a successful program. The Program Manager position is a member of a co-management team and is supported directly by the Executive Director.
Super Stars Literacy believes that when a child learns to read, they are empowered to transform their future. The program specifically targets under resourced Kindergarten, first, and second grade students; and provides both daytime intervention and after-school programming in the areas of literacy and social emotional development.
The Program Manager’s primary objective is to provide quality assurance at each assigned school site, resulting in consistent, high quality, and effective Super Stars programming. Responsibilities include:
Supervision, Coaching and Development of Group Leaders (60%)
- Manage and support a team of 8-10 AmeriCorps Group Leaders across two school sites, serving as the primary program supervisor and educational expert.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with Group Leaders at multiple sites; support systems that provide for Group Leader collaboration and empowerment.
- Actively coordinate with the AmeriCorps Manager to supervise completion of member responsibilities including verifying timesheets, tracking and supporting members’ completion of minimum service requirements (ex. Minimum number of hours, participation in service project/retreat events)
- Support member recruitment by participating in interviews and site placement
- Complete AmeriCorps Group Leader performance reviews three times a year
- Provide on-site support, weekly observations and debriefs for each Group Leader at each school site.
- Work with Group Leaders to create and implement strategic, enriching lesson plans
- Work with Group Leaders to problem solve and develop classroom management techniques
- Facilitate development of student action plans with AmeriCorps Group Leaders to ensure maximum literacy and social emotional growth.
- Support Group Leader development by participating in weekly training sessions, collaborative planning and training delivery as assigned.
Program Logistics (15%)
- Communicate with school principals, staff, and community partner organizations
- Design and manage multiple parent orientation meetings, daytime intervention and after-school program schedules.
- Assume responsibility for timely and accurate submission of student enrollment, attendance and evaluation data.
- Work with school leadership to ensure strong student cohorts are developed at each program site.
- Analyze and share assessment data with Group Leaders and school staff.
Relationships with Schools, Families, and Partners (10%)
- Ensure strong partnerships with school and program partners
- Serve as liaison to school principals, staff, and community partnership organizations
- Work in collaboration with Volunteer Coordinator to implement quarterly family engagement events.
- Work with Group Leaders to establish and maintain family partnerships through on-going communication and assistance during family events.
Program Development (15%)
- Collaborate and lead in program development initiatives
- Collaborate with program team for continuous program improvement
- Participate in annual program planning
- Participate in strategic professional development
A firm belief that all students, regardless of background, can achieve at high levels. An internal drive to support our Group Leaders in any way possible, to empower them to affect student growth and to demonstrate leadership initiative in removing obstacles that might stand in the way. The candidate must believe that a partnership with the schools and families creates a higher chance of success.
Strong candidates will have experience in:
- Elementary education and/or literacy instruction for children
- Managing extended learning staff and/or school-embedded intervention programs
- Developing and delivering training for adult learners
- Working with traditionally underserved populations
- Providing strategic coaching and support, to develop skills within others
- Self directed work; can juggle multiple priorities, relationships, and systems
- Working in, or leading, collaborative teams
- Using student assessment data to set and work toward ambitious goals
- Working with principals, teachers and district staff to convey program success factors and challenges, as well as managing organizational relations
- Behavior management systems and building classroom communities
- Proficiency with Google Drive and be comfortable with an email based work culture
Desired Qualifications or Skills
- Bachelors in Education, Master’s degree preferred
- Past teaching experience or Teaching Credential
- Access to reliable transportation
- Fluency in native languages of students served (ex. Spanish, Cantonese, Arabic)
- Experience with Zoho or a comparable CRM
Medical, dental, paid vacation and sick leave
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter detailing your qualifications along with a resume to:
email@example.com (Please include “Program Manager Position” in Subject line)
Super Stars Literacy, Inc
333 Hegenberger Road, Suite 503
Oakland, CA 94621
Program Manager Position