60 Island Street
SquashBusters is a 22 year old sports-based youth development program that uses a combination of squash and fitness, academic support and enrichment, and community service to improve the lives of youth in Boston, Lawrence and Providence. SquashBusters' mission is to challenge and nurture urban youth - as students, athletes, and citizens - so that they can recognize and fulfill their greatest potential in life.
SquashBusters aims to ensure that all of its graduates:
- Enroll in and successfully complete college
- Understand and embrace life-long habits of health and wellness
- Develop a deep sense of character and personal integrity
SquashBusters currently serves 350 middle school, high school and college students in Boston, Lawrence and Providence. In Lawrence, programming takes place at Brooks School and Phillips Academy Andover; in Boston, programming takes place at the SquashBusters Youth Center located on Northeastern's campus; and in Providence, programming takes place at the Gorgi Family Squash and Education Center on the campus of Moses Brown School.
SquashBusters is hiring a part-time Social Worker (LCSW) to work at its Lawrence, MA site. The Part-Time Social Worker will provide counseling services to individuals and small groups of students in grades 6-12. While SquashBusters’ administrative office is located in Lawrence, programming and counseling takes place on the campuses of Phillips Academy in Andover, and Brooks School in North Andover.
General Duties and Responsibilities
The Part-Time Social Worker will be one of the primary staff members responsible for working with the most vulnerable SquashBusters students, with the ultimate goal of supporting their social-emotional, academic, and personal development through a holistic approach.
Primary role responsibilities:
- Provide counseling services to a case-load of 4-10 youth on a weekly/biweekly basis.
- Build relationships with students and families of diverse backgrounds.
- Collaborate and communicate with staff and parents of students as appropriate on student progress.
- Lead occasional group sessions focused on age & stage-appropriate social emotional topics, including, but not limited to: self-esteem, body image, healthy relationships, communication with peers and adults, self-care, goal & priority setting, and more.
- Meet with SQB staff periodically to provide guidance on research-based positive youth development approaches and practices.
- We expect all staff at SquashBusters to be communicative with all stakeholders, disciplined and engaged in their work, and open to receiving and giving feedback in order to constantly strive to do excellent work.
- Car/Ability to get to Phillips Academy and Brooks School
- Spanish proficiency a plus
- Approximately 6-8 hours per week (3 hours per day, two days per week, plus occasional meetings/calls)
- Qualified candidates must be available between the hours of 3:15pm and 6:15pm on at least two weekdays, with some flexibility permissible.
- October through June
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish proficiency a plus
Minimum Education Required