Experience Camps is a national nonprofit that gives grieving children experiences that change their lives forever. Our one-week, overnight summer camp programs provide a safe environment where kids can explore their grief, break the isolation they may feel outside of camp, and have a whole lot of fun. At the intersection of grief and play, Experience Camps ensures that childhood carries on.
Our reach has increased by 4000% since we opened our first camp program in 2009, now serving 1,200 campers in 5 locations around the country. But the issue of childhood grief extends far beyond the thousands. Our goal is to reach the 5.2 million grieving children in the U.S. through innovative, scalable program delivery and childhood grief advocacy and education so that every grieving child lives a life rich with possibility.
The Communications Manager plays a critical role in ensuring the organization’s visibility and engagement to drive awareness and fundraising support for childhood grief. This person develops and implements strategic communications plans for external audiences. This role ensures that the story of Experience Camps is being disseminated creatively, meaningfully, and on-brand. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working both independently and collaboratively within a small, close-knit team, and thrive in a fast-paced, values-driven environment.
The following is not intended to be an exhaustive list. Other responsibilities and duties may be assigned:
- Develop and implement communications plans with content tailored to key audiences.
- Lead the collection and creation of donor and program content that informs, inspires, and connects people to what we do, including but not limited to content for earned media, social media, website, newsletters, donor appeals, annual report, program collateral, and others.
- Communicate with awareness for diverse audiences and our commitment to inclusion at every level of the organization.
- Support the strategy and execution of our Issue Leadership platform aimed at creating a more grief-smart culture.
- Manage the e-mail marketing strategy including copy development and related assets to engage and drive fundraising.
- Consult with all internal teams on audience-specific communications strategies, tactics, and content.
- Create toolkits, style guides, and assets for consistent, on-brand communications. Train and empower internal teams on communication best practices.
- Manage the graphic design, photo, and video production projects including working with external contractors.
- Maintain the HQ communications calendar and digital asset library.
- Manage relationships with relevant and influential communications partners to further build our network and reach.
- Manage requests from local media markets.
- Identify new outreach opportunities to share resources, research, and organizational knowledge to support greater public awareness of and advocacy for childhood grief.
Expectations and Compensation
- This is a full-time, year-round position, 40 hours per week.
- Annual base salary of $65,000.
- In addition to the annual base salary, Experience Camps offers a benefits package for full-time employees including employer-subsidized health, wellness and technology benefits, a healthcare concierge service, flexible work scheduling, telecommuting, PTO, and parental leave offerings.
- Travel for staff has been paused due to the COVID-19 pandemic. When travel can safely resume, the candidate should expect some travel, especially during the weeks of camp programs.
- Reports to the Chief Development Officer.
- Remote work options available.
- 6+ years of relevant professional experience in communications and/or marketing, preferably in a nonprofit organization.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field, such as journalism, public relations, or communications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong organizational skills and attention to detail; good interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Proven experience designing and implementing successful strategic communications plans; developing content for various audiences, and knowledge of digital engagement best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while managing deadlines.
- An exceptional story-teller.
- Graphic design experience and familiarity with WordPress are a plus.
- Values and actions reflect a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Passion for the mission of Experience Camps.
Apply online through Idealist or at experiencecamps.org/jobs by Monday, March 22, 2021.
More About The Right Fit:
- Able to communicate the tone and personality of Experience Camps: Optimistic, Fun, Inclusive, Empathetic, and Essential.
- Inclusive, adaptable, a self-starter. Results-oriented and entrepreneurial. A problem-solver at heart.
- Creative thinker, collaborator, and extremely detailed communicator with a can-do attitude, and a sense of humor.
- Authentic. Able to create strong relationships through mutual trust.
- Able to follow through with minimal direction, while knowing when to ask questions.
- Able to self-manage in a remote or partially remote work environment.
- Have a willingness to multi-task and help out in all areas.
Our Core Values (C.A.M.P.):
- Come As You Are (unless you’re a jerk): Bring your unique voice and your authentic self to the table. Have an open mind and respect the value in other perspectives.
- Always FTK: Stay true to the mission and focus on the outcomes. Above all else, we are here For The Kids.
- Make it Count: Whatever you do, do it well. Inspire others through your actions. Lead with passion. Love what you do.
- Pass the Squeeze: Offer support when it’s needed. Accept support when it’s offered. Be a team player.
Experience Camps is an equal opportunity employer. Our campers come from all walks of life and so do we. We are looking to hire people of a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes us stronger. If you share our values, you belong here. You can learn more about our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion commitments here: https://experiencecamps.org/blog/2020-6-11-our-commitment-to-you