Details: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Schultz Family Foundation (SFF), established in 1996 by Sheri and Howard Schultz, creates pathways of opportunity for populations facing barriers to success. By investing in innovative, scalable solutions and partnerships, the Foundation aims to help unlock people's potential and in doing so, strengthen our businesses, our communities, and our nation. The Foundation focuses its efforts on two groups with enormous promise: the 4.6 million youth and young adults aged between 16 and 24 who are out of school and out of work, and the 2.8 million Post-9/11 veterans and the approximately 250,000 service members that will transition from active, National Guard, or Reserve duty back to civilian life each year.
The finance and administration manager will be responsible for the finance and accounting activities of the Foundation. S/he will also manage finance and administrative functions related to the Foundation’s grant payments, procurement and contracting, and payroll and benefits. The finance and administration manager will work closely with Foundation staff, leadership, and external partners to ensure that financial policies and procedures are well developed and implemented. S/he plays a key role in ensuring that financial information is accurate, up-to-date and aligned with regulations, best practices and standards.
To be successful in this position, the manager will have experience both creating new systems and assessing existing systems for improvements. Organization, proactivity, and attention to detail are essential for the role, as are excellent communications skills and robust experience with financial management and accounting in a nonprofit context. The finance and administration manager will report to the Foundation’s Chief Operations Officer.
Responsibilities and essential job functions include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain updated chart of accounts and general ledger.
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statements and reports.
- Conduct and maintain monthly and annual reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts including bank accounts, accounts receivable, investments, grants payable and other liabilities.
- Process accounts payable, including vendor bills, employee reimbursements, and credit cards.
- Process grant payments using established procedures for documentation and payment methods.
- Prepare and process payroll and benefits, review payroll tax filings as provided by payroll platform, and manage staff payroll allocations.
- Prepare financial information for and is the primary liaison with financial audit and tax reporting partners.
Financial Planning and Management
- Develop and maintain the Foundation’s accounting policies and protocols ensuring GAAP compliance and adequate internal controls, recommending and implementing improvements and updates as needed.
- With COO, manage the annual organizational budget process; present financial forecasts and analysis as needed.
- Train employees on the fiscal policies and procedures of the organization.
- Establish and maintain relationships in the non-profit and foundation accounting industry, ensuring a current and relevant knowledge base.
Other Administrative Responsibilities
- Ensure completion and filing of relevant local and state registration and licensing documents.
- Manage administrative and financial service providers and vendors including payroll and benefits administration, banking, and credit card processing.
- Administer annual employee benefit selection and open enrollment process.
- Maintain personnel files in compliance with policies and procedures.
- Review final contract documents for completeness, ensuring proper terms, forms and attachments are in place.
- Work with vendors consultants in the completion and filing of required documents.
- Develop and/or contribute to preparation of materials for board meetings.
- Other related responsibilities as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- At least five years of experience in relevant finance or accounting position in a nonprofit organization or foundation that required the following:
- thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures related to nonprofit entities
- creation of monthly and annual financial statements
- payroll and benefits processing
- engagement in the preparation of audited financial statements and tax returns
- Proficiency in Quickbooks or similar accounting software
- Strong analytical and demonstrated problem solving skills
- Demonstrated commitment to ethical business practices and ability to generate trust and credibility with colleagues across all levels of an organization
- Strong organization and planning skills, with an ability to set up systems and processes to streamline accounting and finance functions
- Professionalism, maturity, and an understanding of how to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, and intermediate proficiency in other MS Office applications
- Finance and/or accounting experience in a private foundation
- CPA certification
Schultz Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected status.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a comprehensive background check.
Minimum Education Required